• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You
  • June Project of the Month (Click "x" at right to dismiss)
[4]
[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Martin W

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
I had bought a bunch of taper shank drill bits a while ago. They were a little rusty so I soaked them in some rust remover. What a difference. Here is one 2-1/4” bit after 20 minutes

Cheers
Martin
581D437C-BBDB-455A-9143-1FB17BC0E474.jpeg

markba633csi

Holy cow that's a good size drill
M

vocatexas

I've been using Evaporust on some tools I bought recently and I have been amazed at the results. That stuff really works!

TTD

Holy cow is right...they’re only 3/4” smaller diameter than my lathe chuck! :D

dlane

Active User
Holy stamped ,my dp would have a problem with that thing.

agfrvf

I soak my cleaned and derusted parts in used synthetic engine oil. No rust on anything after treated and I live in heat and humidity central.

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Wow Martin, you must have a really big DP to run those drills!

Can we get a picture of the beast that can run those bits??? :drool:

Martin W

What can I say, I like heavy equipment and it’s usually cheap.
The 2-1/4" and 2-3/4" bits have 5MT shanks. The only machine at the moment I can use them is my Lathe, which most times a boring bar is better. Most of the rest have MT#3 shanks which I can use in the Progress #3 drill press.
I am looking at a Radial arm drill that has a #6 MT but I am still trying to figure out how to get it home reasonably priced. It weighs more than the roll off truck can handle.
Cheers
Martin. 1B296F8E-42D0-41F8-B1D7-5FFF9BAE18A3.jpeg 0AD72038-3DE3-4162-8E2D-ADD9759C04D9.jpeg

projectnut

I had bought a bunch of taper shank drill bits a while ago. They were a little rusty so I soaked them in some rust remover. What a difference. Here is one 2-1/4” bit after 20 minutes

Cheers
Martin
What brand rust remover are you using? I have tried several over the years and have not found one yet that does that good of a job. Every one I've used leaves a black coating where the rust has been removed.

agfrvf

What brand rust remover are you using? I have tried several over the years and have not found one yet that does that good of a job. Every one I've used leaves a black coating where the rust has been removed.
That is now preserved Iron(III) oxide. Same as bluing but much thicker in your case. It won't rust again

Martin W

Project Nut, I’m using Evaporust. This is right out of the solution with no scrubbing. I just rinse with water and dip in again and let it air dry.
Cheers
Martin

[6]
[5] [7]