Sad day at an auction (Index 55)

jmhoying

Active User
Registered
I was at an auction yesterday in Dayton, Ohio and and watched an Index 55 sell for $10.00! It was actually in very good, working condition. The table was very tight and everything was there, new belt and all. The problem for me was that it was located in the back yard shop of a gentleman's house, with very little access to it to load it. (and I don't have room right now) I imagine that it'll be on it's way to a scrap yard soon, as I know the bidder was only looking at scrap value. I told him that he could do a lot better if he listed it on Craigslist, but he said "I don't want to sit on it, I want to turn it into cash". Pretty sad that a good machine will be melted down.

Jack

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
H-M Supporter Gold Member
that has to be the saddest story iv'e heard in a long time....:bawling:

middle.road

Actively Learning...
H-M Supporter Gold Member
We can hope it makes it to the scrap yard in one piece and that the scrapper knows the actual value and will list it on CL.
One of the yards down here does that. But usually the folks don't bring in to him carefully.
< fingers-crossed ><fingers-crossed></fingers-crossed>

John Hasler

Active User
Former Member
We can hope it makes it to the scrap yard in one piece and that the scrapper knows the actual value and will list it on CL.
One of the yards down here does that. But usually the folks don't bring in to him carefully.
< fingers-crossed ><fingers-crossed></fingers-crossed>
Do we know that it's going to a scrapyard?

AR1911

Active User
Registered
There have been times when I have bought machines like that and immediately thought "Dang. What have I got myself into?" :nuts:

I bought a mill-drill last Spring in much the same circumstances. It was marked way down in an estate sale because it would be hard to move out of a small, elevated wood shed across a soft back yard. I deliberated for quite a while before I said "What the hell" and paid the man. turned out to be not that much trouble to extract. And it was in great shape

engineerpower

Registered
Registered
There's a special place in hell reserved for scrappers...

I moved and rebuilt my Super 55 by myself, so they have a special place in my heart.

jmhoying

Active User
Registered
There's a special place in hell reserved for scrappers...

I moved and rebuilt my Super 55 by myself, so they have a special place in my heart.
Although I don't own it any longer, I enjoyed my Supper 55 also. (with it's custom made spindle top cover, made from a pressure cooker pan)
Jack

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock