Sad Day .....

About a year ago I lost out on a very nice used mill advertised on Craigslist.

I'd been talking to the seller by phone. He kept delaying, but then set a date. On the day in question, I went ahead and rented a Uhaul trailer and bought some new tie-down straps . Then I kept trying to phone to get the address, kept getting voice mail ... lo and behold, late that afternoon the scuffrut finally texted to tell me that there'd been somebody ahead of me, and they'd bought it.:angry:

If I'd just known I was second or third in line, I'd not have rented the trailer or bought the straps. Ah, well ... at least I have a good set of tie-downs now ... but I'm still steamed about the dishonest seller.
All you can do in those situations is reaffirm your commitment to being an honorable person in your dealings with othe people. I aspire to be the highest common denominator not the lowest....unfortunately our country has become all about the lowest commonn denominator. This community is a group that support the highest common denominator, yourself included. I hope Allison well in Corvalis.

About 6 months ago I was communicating with a guy about 4 hours drive away on some lathe accessories he was selling. We had agreed a price and said I would be up his way in a few days to collect. Phoned him when I was in town and he had sold most of the stuff to someone else (who presumably offered him a higher price). I suppose I should of transferred a deposit but we were only talking 4 days till I was up there to pay and collect - can take that long for an inter bank payment to go through over here.

Still had a few of the bits I wanted available but I decided I just didn't want to deal with someone who operated that way so passed (which in hindsight I sort of regret as I haven't been able to find the bits again at such a reasonable price - I suppose that's the cost of taking the moral high ground).

Last edited:
G'Day,
I would not be losing a lot of sleep, my first lathe some 30 years ago was a Myford ml10, it was the most pitiful **** poor excuse for a lathe I have ever had the misfortune to use, the day I unloaded it to some poor gullible bugger was one of the happiest of my life. Have a beer to celebrate having dodged a bullet and start looking for a decent machine.
Regards,
Martin

All you can do in those situations is reaffirm your commitment to being an honorable person in your dealings with othe people. I aspire to be the highest common denominator not the lowest....unfortunately our country has become all about the lowest commonn denominator. This community is a group that support the highest common denominator, yourself included. I hope Allison well in Corvalis.

Thanks, Brooks!

I've sold a couple relatively large items on Craigs this last year - immediately respond to each contact and let them know where they are in the queue. Once it's sold, I also make it a point to tell everybody who's waiting in line. And if I have what seems to be a committed buyer who's arranged to arrive in a day or two, I hold for them and don't let (allegedly) higher bidders jump ahead. I just don't know any other way to be.

All's well here. Preparing for my New Year's Eve party.

Remember, it's really about your soul (or whatever) discard anger and regret,
Live a better life ! ........BLJHB.

Back