SAE 68 gear oil for PM-932M gear box

9t8z28

Registered
Registered
I am sure this has been discussed but the search feature says my search is too short so,
I just got as PM-932M-PDF and am about to do the break in procedure for the gear box. What kind and brand of SAE 68 oil are you all using? I have heard that its better to use non synthetic but not sure if that's true. I do not know much about oils other than what I put in my cars and am seeing conflicting info. I have searched for SAE 68 and I get results for ISO 68 which appears to be different.

SAE are viscosity grades commonly used in automotive. ISO is commonly for hydraulic oil. ISO 68 would be what you want, not SAE 68. I use Mobil DTE in my PM-45 but any good brand hydraulic oil will work if that is all you have access to.

i wouldn't be worried about using synthetic oils on a lathe, especially in the gear train
oils are usually compatible between synthetic oil and mineral oil, small contamination of either doesn't cause problems
but conversely, you don't want to mix synthetic grease and non- synthetic greases- often bad things happen quickly when greases are mixed

most hydraulic fluids in the ISO68 range would suffice, i wouldn't get too hung up on brand name- all will meet minimum specifications

Thats interesting thats its hydraulic fluid. So Mobil DTE "26"? I see the DTE in "24" and "25" ?
Why would Precision Matthews be recommending SAE 68 if its not even the right kind of oil?
SAE are viscosity grades commonly used in automotive. ISO is commonly for hydraulic oil. ISO 68 would be what you want, not SAE 68. I use Mobil DTE in my PM-45 but any good brand hydraulic oil will work if that is all you have access to.

To further muddy the waters, most of the synthetic oil on the market today isn't. It is cracked mineral oil that the US government allows to be called synthetic. The EU does not. That is why you have $5 "synthetic" and $12 Euro-synthetic. In truth, there is little to no difference in performance between true synthetic and hydrocracked mineral. But Marketing gotta market.

I am not worried about the non synthetic and synthetic oils being mixed in the mill gear box, I have read that the synthetic oils with detergents do not do well without filtration.
I ask for a particular brand because its just easier to search for a specific product then I don't have to worry about the small differences between the products like how darkzone recommended Mobil DTE but there are different variations of it, IE 24, 25 and 26.

i wouldn't be worried about using synthetic oils on a lathe, especially in the gear train
oils are usually compatible between synthetic oil and mineral oil, small contamination of either doesn't cause problems
but conversely, you don't want to mix synthetic grease and non- synthetic greases- often bad things happen quickly when greases are mixed

most hydraulic fluids in the ISO68 range would suffice, i wouldn't get too hung up on brand name- all will meet minimum specifications

Thats interesting thats its hydraulic fluid. So Mobil DTE "26"? I see the DTE in "24" and "25" ?
Why would Precision Matthews be recommending SAE 68 if its not even the right kind of oil?

There is no such thing as SAE 68. ISO 68 is about the same as SAE 80/90 gear oil. If I was to go the gear oil route, I would definitely avoid GL5. GL1 would be the ticket.

I found the PM manual online. I don't know how the Mobil DTE Heavy/Medium stacks up against the numbers.

"""
Lubrication Oils are classified according to their viscosity. There are several viscosity indexes, the main ones being ISO (International Standards Organization) and SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers). SAE adds another complication with different indexes for engine and gear oils, further sub-divided into lists with and without the suffix W, meaning "multigrade". Mistaking SAE engine oil for gear oil can be an issue; for instance, SAE 20 engine oil has about the same viscosity as SAE 80 gear oil, both roughly equivalent to just one number on the ISO scale, ISO 68. Recommended lubricants Gearbox: ISO 68, such as SAE 80W90 auto gear oil, or Mobil DTE Heavy/Medium circulating oil (about 3 qts.) Ball oilers (X and Y leadscrews): ISO 32 oil, such as 3-IN-ONE (the "motor oil" version of this brand is heavier, about ISO 68, but it can also be used) X, Y and Z axis ways (dovetails): ISO 68 oil, such as Mobil Vactra No. 2, or equivalent Power feed (visible gears), quill rack and pinion, Z-axis helical gears: light general purpose grease, NLGI No. 2, or equivalent X and Y leadscrews: ISO 68 oil, such as Vactra No. 2 or 3-IN-ONE Motor Oil Z leadscrew: ISO 68 oil or NLGI No. 2 grease
"""

For ISO 68, Mobil DTE 26 or Mobil DTE Heavy/Medium is the equivelent. I use either or depending on what my local MSC has in stock at the time.

DTE 24 & 25 are different viscocities. 24 is ISO 32 & 25 is ISO 46. You can use a lighter viscocity if you live in a very cold climate.

I'm not sure why they would tell you SAE 68. Did they actually tell you that or was it printed somewhere? It's a misprint if the latter. I have a a lathe & mill from PM, they never told me SAE 68, they told me ISO 68. But I bought my machines before they had manuals for their machines created.

I'm not sure where you got that info but the manual that came with the machine states SAE 68. It definitely doesn't say ISO. I'm not debating what you read, I'm just telling you whats in my book.
So M
I found the PM manual online. I don't know how the Mobil DTE Heavy/Medium stacks up against the numbers.

"""
Lubrication Oils are classified according to their viscosity. There are several viscosity indexes, the main ones being ISO (International Standards Organization) and SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers). SAE adds another complication with different indexes for engine and gear oils, further sub-divided into lists with and without the suffix W, meaning "multigrade". Mistaking SAE engine oil for gear oil can be an issue; for instance, SAE 20 engine oil has about the same viscosity as SAE 80 gear oil, both roughly equivalent to just one number on the ISO scale, ISO 68. Recommended lubricants Gearbox: ISO 68, such as SAE 80W90 auto gear oil, or Mobil DTE Heavy/Medium circulating oil (about 3 qts.) Ball oilers (X and Y leadscrews): ISO 32 oil, such as 3-IN-ONE (the "motor oil" version of this brand is heavier, about ISO 68, but it can also be used) X, Y and Z axis ways (dovetails): ISO 68 oil, such as Mobil Vactra No. 2, or equivalent Power feed (visible gears), quill rack and pinion, Z-axis helical gears: light general purpose grease, NLGI No. 2, or equivalent X and Y leadscrews: ISO 68 oil, such as Vactra No. 2 or 3-IN-ONE Motor Oil Z leadscrew: ISO 68 oil or NLGI No. 2 grease
"""

Back