"safedicator" 1919 Automotive Turn Signal

Holescreek

Active User
Registered
I bought this a couple of weeks ago just because I'd never seen such a thing. It did not work mostly because it was laying somewhere damp for probably the last 90 years. I had to remove some steel rivets to get the iron cores out to remove the rust on them and made two new junction blocks for the wiring to replace the badly decayed ones. After I made new rivets and installed them I made an informational video with what little I was able to discover on the internet.

I'm interested to see if any of you car guys have ever seen one.

I am no expert on old car accessories, but I found it quite interesting, just the same. Thanks for posting it!

Very cool! People sure were inventive once upon a time.
Now they just make apps.... :/

I've never seen one that old but when I was a kid all cars had a similar system where an illuminated pointer flipped out of the door pillar.
I think they were called "Trafficators" and were a dim orange and worked the same way.

One of my friends is sure he saw one in use in an old movie but he can't remember the name or when he saw it.

I put the rear casing back on and it started acting like I needed more power. The hands didn't want to move anymore. I flipped the switch to 12volts and it worked great. Now to figure out what to do with it.

Change the shape of the hands so you can give the finger to cars following too close:p

Back