Safely Moving A Surface Plate

I just watched your video and I feel your frustration. I hadn't realized that you had to go up steps as well. One suggestion would be to place your levers under the plywood and lift the opposite end up to lay your plywood a a more shallow angle which will reduce the force need to pull it up. If you get it high enough to place a garage jack under it, you could jack the plywood to horizontal. You could also slide the plate of your dolly under the plywood to lift. Keep in mind the the effort you are exerting to go up the steps is the amount of restraint you will need to control the plate going down. Should you decide to go your current route and you are concerned about damaging your floor, put a sheet of plywood down to distribute the weight better. Again, good luck!

Thanks for the suggestions gentlemen...

The plate is already in my shop. Just took me a while to piece together what footage I have. What you watched above was what happened on day one, (sat). I still have to compile the Sunday efforts but will post it asap.

That's a cliff-hanger!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since there was a shred of interest in my video content/editing skills I figured I would post the final episode for sgisler ;)
I hadn't seen any notice of your final endeavor until today. It may have gotten lost in one of the furries of activity on the site.Actually, I think that there was a lot of interest in the outcome. I have yet to watch the 2nd video but your final solution looks well engineered. I was apprehensive about sliding the plate down with just the two cross braces and was glad to see that you used another tie at the top once you loaded the plate. I have used a similar technique for my bring or removing heavy equipment into my basement and I always use at least three tie straps.

If you can, save your ramp. You will need it again if/when you want to remove the plate. You might want to use if for a new lathe as well.

Enjoy your new toy!:clapping:
Bob

BTW, Your cart is anything but makeshift!

Wow, glad to see a happy ending! You had me on pins and needles for 2 months!
Congrats on a job well done.

Stan,
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back