Safety glasses for those who need reading glasses

Aaron_W

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Some have probably already figured this out, but they actually make safety reading glasses.

I started needing reading glasses a few years ago and it was becoming a problem when using the lathe, reading the dials and such with safety glasses so I'd have to go back and forth between the readers and the safety glasses. I initially dealt with the issue by getting a face shield so I could wear the readers and protect my eyes. The face shield is fine most of the time, and there are times I want the shield (like grinding) but there are times it is a bother.

I'd looked at the local hardware stores, but the only thing close were bifocal style safety glasses with just a small spot with magnification. These were annoying as I had to do that bifocal head bob (I'm not there yet so haven't got that down) and almost had to cross my eyes due to the size and location of the spot.

Finally I engaged my brain and googled safety reading glasses, yes they exist and they are cheap.

I got these from Amazon, but there are many styles and vendors out there, just for some reason most hardware stores don't stock them on the shelf.

Safety Plus Readers

I have just used reading glasses for machine work, never saw a need to go beyond that ---- so far, so good.

The Pyramex Emerge and Emerge Plus are the best safety glasses I have found for my old eyes. The bifocal safety glasses I have tried are all too low in my vision to do any good. I have to look down at an angle that drives me crazy. The Emerge aren't bifocals, and I really like them. I'm guilty of just using my reading glasses too, but since finding a single focal length safety glass, I use them most of the time. I don't want to test Chinese readers in an accident.

I've been getting my prescription bi-focal glasses made with polycarbonate lenses for years. No need to change glasses when going from reading to machining.

Ted

Remember this....

Occupational glasses.

Key word to use when getting eyes checked.

We have a bench for working on cloxks...atmos are worst for "old eyes".

Place work on bench and sit comfortable and measure distance from nose to work .

Same for mill, lathe or ???

Tell person checking eyes you need occupational glasses and ask for the close up card to be placed at the distance measured.

In our case we wanted a bit of magnification too.

They dialed it in to clear vision then made it big and clear.

Makes work much better.

Have similar pair for electronics bench.

The lathe requires good clear vision from a distance so having glasses tunes to working distance makes for much better work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Tell person checking eyes you need occupational glasses and ask for the close up card to be placed at the distance measured.

Yes, this is important. In my post above, I stated bi-focals, I actually have been getting tri-focals for quite a few years to accomplish exactly what tq60 has stated. They work very well for close up, intermediate and distant vision.

Ted

Just ordered a pair today. I need to up the diopter of my safety glasses but didn't feel like spending $250 at the eye doctors. Thanks.........Bob

If using goggles or shield you could use stick on reading lenses.

Back