safety glasses

Nelson,

The one I have (mentioned in post #2) is a full face shield and it's comfortable and non-intrusive. It's also saved me from some grief more than few times. I've had little hot chips (as in really, really hot) burn my face more than a handful of times. Also, I've got minor facial cuts from stainless steel ribbons coming off the lathe faster than I could get out of the way.

I have two of those full-face shields in the shop and use them all the time. When I heat treat, I always wear it. When you quench a part, things splatter sometimes... For the surface grinder, they are a necessity...

By just wearing normal eyeglasses, I've managed to get all kinds of junk in my eyes and it's all avoided with either those goggles or full face shield.

Ray

This thread is so important, I am going to move it to the general forum. We probably should have a safety sub-forum there.

Anyway, I was just about to order some safety glasses or a full face shield from Enco because I just got a base for my old Baldor grinder that I want to set up.
I was thinking a full face shield might be better for flying objects, not to protect my ugly mug, but to keep me from the emergency room.
Any thoughts?

I wear bi-focal (cheater) wrap around safety glasses. The wrap around style offers good peripheral vision as well as protection from chips coming in from the sides. The bi-focal (cheater) feature is great for close up work. They are non-prescription and I buy them at a local industrial supply house. When grinding I wear goggles over my safety glasses.

Tom S.

Here's my preferred types of eye/face safety.
http://www.harborfreight.com/safety-goggles-3-pack-66538.html
http://www.amazon.com/Uvex-S8510-Po...F8&qid=1385749912&sr=8-3&keywords=face+shield
BTW: I'm always wearing one or the other. Normal eyeglasses do not provide enough side protection to really be effective.
Ray

I'll second the Uvex full-face mask. Best damn shield I've ever bought. I don't even remember I'm wearing it after a couple of minutes, and it reaches low enough to prevent sparks or chips from flying up underneath the shield by just tilting your head a little. I'm still learning to turn metal, so I've had a literal face-full of chips twice now. Goggles would not have cut it. It's also a lot more convenient than my speedglas when I'm using an angle grinder and come to mention it, since dremel-style tools seem to be designed to throw grinding dust into your face, it's great for that too.

when I was (alot) younger, I had a set of large-ish glasses that were required to be made from impact resistant glass because of the lens size (no polycarb back then). They were essentially safety glasses, and they saved my right eye from a flying piece of sawz-all blade that hit the right lens and left a chip in it right over my pupil. I've been religious about eye protection ever since.

I use full magnifier ANSI rated safety glasses from Ram Welding Supply. They also work good under a welding helmet. I leave the prescription glasses for extended layout work. I do have full face shields but tend to use those when doing extended bringing operations with portable grinders.

Nelson,

The one I have (mentioned in post #2) is a full face shield and it's comfortable and non-intrusive. It's also saved me from some grief more than few times. I've had little hot chips (as in really, really hot) burn my face more than a handful of times. Also, I've got minor facial cuts from stainless steel ribbons coming off the lathe faster than I could get out of the way.

I have two of those full-face shields in the shop and use them all the time. When I heat treat, I always wear it. When you quench a part, things splatter sometimes... For the surface grinder, they are a necessity...

By just wearing normal eyeglasses, I've managed to get all kinds of junk in my eyes and it's all avoided with either those goggles or full face shield.

Ray

Ouch! $36 isn't cheap on the Uvex, though I'm sure they're worth it. What do you think of these Crew and 3M shields sold by Enco?

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=1027&PMCTLG=00

Last edited by a moderator:
I am really liking this thread.
I also really like the Uvex , but up here in the north it's near $50. CDN. + shipping ouch !

I will have to save up for that one.
it's definately on the santa list though...

Uvex also has a full face shield that is very sleek and looks like a molded face piece that will allow closer inspection and maneuvering with out getting in the way The model I am referring to is the 9400 (I think), and it has a nice support that goes all the way around the viewing lens so there is no distortion or flex. And the price from Amazon is still pretty good and they will give you 2nd day shipping if you are on the Prime program for free.

Bob

Years ago (like 30) when I was into model railroading, I was doing trackwork, and was cutting nickel silver rail with a Dremel cut-off wheel.

I had goggles on. I felt a sharp stick on my cheekbone and went to look in the mirror. There was blood coming from a nick in my cheek. A piece of the cutoff wheel had broken free and hit my cheek.
After that, I swore by a face shield. Also, I sweat a lot and goggles tend to get drops of water from sweat in them and block my vision, which is also dangerous.

I am definitely getting a face shield. The more it covers, the better.

Back