Safety Switch

+1 on the no-volt-release, first it stops the machine coming back to life after a power-out without someone to push the button, second you can usually wire a LATCHING E-stop in series with the coil so it's necessary to both reset the E-stop and push the start button.

You can wire remote in-series E-stops into circuit too (by the workshop door's good), so your loved ones don't have to dodge your flailing body parts to stop that annoying "whup whup whup" noise distracting them from YouTube as the hamburger circles the spindle...

Placement: I like the lathe / mill to have a treadle to stomp in an emergency, nice piece of black-and-yellow painted diamond plate with a pair of microswitches in series under it, one each end for reliability, hinged at each end to the lathe cabinet / mill base and a return spring - could be mechanically connected to a brake if your lathe has one / you fitted one?

A further improvement I did on my lathe, the forward-reverse switch has an extra home-made cam operating a microswitch in it that's in series with the NVR start button and only closes in the "stop" position so I can't power it up without the spindle in "neutral" - it may save me or someone else some time, and as the only people I let use my lathe are people I care about...

Dave H. (the other one)

Back