Safety While Using The Engine Lathe

I wear watches all the time but never in front of a lathe, mill, grinder, etc. I rarely wear long sleeves & don't wear rings so problem there. Also will never wear goves around anything that spins fast.

I do however wear slippers with no socks while doing some quick machining. So if someone ever sees me dancing in the shop, it's not to the music playing. :D

My dad taught me safety lessons when I was a kid and they stick with me to this day. Like never stand in front of a grinder when you first turn it on, really applies to any rotating tool....

So true,
Mr. Wade, 1972, Metal Shop. “When you approach a bench grinder, stand to the side when you turn on the power, let it come to full RPM, count to 5 then go to work”.

It is kind of funny, I was always intimidated by the mill and comfortable with a lathe. Even after the shop teacher saying, "the lathe is always looking for a way to murder you, give it just one chance and it will succeed".

Later on in life being an EMT with the fire dept I got to see first hand the results of a lathe making the most of its' one murdering chance. It was a good sized lathe but not huge. It caught some part of the guy, probably clothing but inconclusive and wrapped him around the chuck and work 3 or 4 times. It was impressive to see a person wound up like fishing line on a level wind reel but the most impressive part was it pulled every single piece of him between the chuck and the bed which was only about a 2" gap. Of course in doing so it squeezed the stuffing out of the various parts of his anatomy.

I am a lot less comfortable with any machine tools since then.

Safety is no accident.

That is kind of a cliche, but it is very true.

I've been involved with the fire service for 27 years. It can be a dangerous job but I still have all my fingers and toes, both eyes work, and I can hear. I have done my fair share of stupid things, but no matter how simple or quick a task was I wore the right PPE. I wore my ear plugs even though the chainsaw was only going to take a minute to make the cut. I practiced doing things while wearing my gloves, so they were on my hands and not stuffed in a pocket when I needed to be wearing them. I took the time to get into a good position before moving heavy objects to save my back and my knees.

There were many times where just doing something without taking the time to use my PPE would have been easy, and a few times where I definitely would have paid for it.

I have a funny story about setting myself on fire but it is only funny because I was wearing my gear even though it was a simple task and would have been easy to say I won't need it.

, "the lathe is always looking for a way to murder you, give it just one chance and it will succeed".

I pretty much share this belief about all machines and other heavy objects, particularly trees. I had to take a skills test every three years to maintain my chainsaw operator certification for work. I was never a really good faller, but I took it seriously. Trees don't have to be that big to hurt you.

What I started to figure out is most of the certifying guys cared less about your skill and a lot more about your attitude. They wanted to know if they signed you off for 3 more years that you knew your limits and would stay within them, not let your ego win out and get yourself or somebody else hurt or killed.

I feel much more comfortable around a lathe than a table saw- ever since a saw threw a piece of wood at me in high school. Fortunately escaped with just a bruise- could have been worse. When your metal shop teacher asks you to slip over to the wood shop and trim a little off this crooked wood shelf don't do it
M

Coworker had a chain saw chain break and hit Him cross angled between His eyes. Broke His glasses, got him some stitches, missed both eyes. Cannot tell You all much about the time I drilled a hole through a piece of sheet metal setting on My lap. Drill caught and augered in, gave a yell, and ran to the bathroom. Mom DID NOT get to see the damage.

Back