Salvaged Rods From Some Printers

nice! I love those printer rods, lovely finish and they machine beautifully. Almost finished using one to make a necklace hanger stand thing for the wife's birthday and my daughter used some bits from another one to make a recipe book stand for her. You also get a load of small fasteners, some motors and various assorted gears. The rest goes in the recycling or to the scrap yard.

Another good source of parts are paper shredders, especially industrial sized ones. Picked one of those up from our neighbourhood a while back and it has some lovely gears, shafts and a nice motor in it. Used the cupboard for the kitchen table stuff :)

They are'nt stainless, rat crap rusts them out.
I think they are chromed, at least mine are.

Wait until you end up with a big ol' copier/printer/scanner. Took me a week to strip it down.
Most all the rods are magnetic FWIW, but one thing I have noticed is that they don't rust like everything else in my shop does.
Some of the large rollers are handy. I've got a pair on my miter saw. The rubber coating is either a curse or a benefit depending on the size of the boards I'm cutting.
The 'platen' glass on the aforementioned device really had potential, it was over a 1/4" thick.
And then when I set it down to lean against the wall, I hit it just right and it broke in two.

@mikey around here mouse excrement corrodes all that it touches - eats through paint even. I figure that it's their urine. They make nests in my shop in the darnest places.

Thanks, Dan. Makes sense why it corrodes stuff. I don't have a rat or mouse problem here. I have salt and moisture in the air to handle all my corrosion for me.

Thanks, Dan. Makes sense why it corrodes stuff. I don't have a rat or mouse problem here. I have salt and moisture in the air to handle all my corrosion for me.
Ah, gee, shucks, 'salt' & moisture... you left out the part about temperate climate. :grin: (hehe)
It was 53° here 24 hours ago, now it is 21°. Pass me the salt please...

Back