Salvaging Useful Parts from Printers

I took one printer apart years ago and was astounded by all the really cool parts. And while they do have a lot of plastic those ground rods, guides, slides and rollers are really nice. I don't see how they can sell them so cheap except they make their $$ back many times over by selling the cartridges. I came away with a bag of really interesting stuff but finally had to toss it because I couldn't come up with a project for it all.

I would love to see some of the stuff you've made with printer parts. Thanks for posting.

I really check anything out before I throw it. Just to go and by a 3 pin plug and 1.8m of electrical cable from the hardware store is $$$

Very true. And yeah, it killed me to toss that stuff. I love repurposing, but I'm a mechanical guy, not electrical and don't do small stuff. When I was a line mechanic I used to take the stuff apart I didn't have to turn in for the core and save the "shiny" stuff. Odd screws, bolts, washers and parts that looked like I could make it into something else. I saved the counter balances out of an A/C compressor and ended up welding them onto some old junk pliers to be able to make specific radius bends in 1/8" rod. My shop is full of cobbled machines and cool stuff waiting to be useful as the need arises.

Last edited:
Larger commercial type printers have lots of good parts .on Craig's list pretty often

Back