Sam Hill

cathead

CATWERKS LTD
Registered
In cleaning up some old dovetail cutters, I found several arbors in the box. One had left hand threads and only one cutter fit.
The rest were right handed. Also in the box was one cutter that has right hand threads so I thought I would take it apart.
This proved to be very difficult as I tried using a pipe wrench on the shank and sandwiched the cutter between two pieces of hardwood
in the vise. I finally gave up after the wood splintered, not being able to get it apart.

I remember my dad talking about Sam Hill and I think my mom used to reference Sam Pete. Who were these people anyway?
That brings me to the question: How in the Sam Hill do I get the arbor separated from the cutter? Also would a washer be the
thing to use in this situation? Am I missing something? Would anti-sieze or oil be the ticket? If one used a washer , what should
it be made of? Maybe some of you have experience in this subject.

After giving up,:surrender: I single pointed a new one but am somewhat hesitant to use it since it might get stuck on there tight. P1030789.JPGOn the left is an arbor I made using some 3/4 stainless steel rod. The tool on the right is the one with left hand threads.

The box contains cutters that all have right hand threads and one has carbide teeth.

P1030788.JPG

Can't help you with the etymology of Sam Hill, but I would think it might be helpful to make a cutter wrench. That and some flats on your arbor so you can get some kind of grip on it. Perhaps a pin spanner?

I thought of sacrificing the cutter and welding it onto something that could be held in the vise although maybe it is better
left alone since I made a new arbor.....

Reactions: jcp
I remember references to Sam Hill in my youth but don't have any info on him. One question he may ask is: Why take it apart? ; ) Someday, you or someone else may need that particular cutter. Sam would say "what for?" and I have no idea. Rip 'er apart and let us know what you find.

If one used a washer , what should
it be made of?
Wonder if brown paper would work. A lot of guys (myself included) use a brown paper washer between a threaded chuck and the spindle register to forestall getting stuck. Might work on a cutter too?

Haha . Maybe Sam Hell was invoked in a particularly vexing situation. Say your neighbor gets his arm chewed off in the baler while making hay: What in Sam Hell are you doing in there? As opposed to your kid gets stuck in the ditch: What in Sam Hill were you thinking? A very versatile name, for sure.

Back