Sampson Mill- aka Husky, Grizzly Questions

More progress which sometimes means mistakes:) I started to make replacement way wipers and initially tried rubber like what came with the mill. Got 1/4" thick rubber sheeting and some steep plate from McMaster Carr. Made a template of the general shape and hole location (more on this soon) from a piece of clear plastic from the local hobby shop. Hand cut the steel plates and the rubber then punched holes in the rubber only to find out that each wiper had slightly differing placement of the holes. I also began to understand that rubber wanted pretty snug fit up to do a good job. So back to the thinking stage. I read that felt has been used for the wiper seal and thought well of it's greater shape accommodation and my poor layout skills. So felt was attempt #2. Here's a couple of shots of this progression. One is of the rubber efforts and the other shot is the felt before I punch holes in them. The tubes with beveled ends are the hole punches I made up. The spoke is the plug push out tool. This sits on my 2'x3' steel surface plate cover (the best birthday present a wife can give one of us, well maybe the second best:)).

We expect a rainy day Wednesday (tomorrow is warm and dry so after the vet visit for my 12 year old cat I go riding my bike) and I plan to install the wiper seals and hopefully the table too. More story to come soon. Andy

Attachments

• IMG_2333.JPG
    IMG_2333.JPG
    984.5 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_2334.JPG
    IMG_2334.JPG
    737.1 KB · Views: 163
The front wiper on my machine was is good condition but I did do something similar to what you're doing. The wiper does want to fit snug like you mentioned. Mostly done with the section between the two dovetails slightly undersized to provide a little squeeze on the dovetail when installed. I used my wiper as a template and cut out a piece of felt to go behind it to retain oil and brush it across the dovetail when in use. Then in front of it I cut out an aluminum plate mostly to act as a washer for the SHCS since both the rubber wiper and the felt wiper would deform when they were tightened down. I wish I would have made up some more wipers for the back side of the saddle and on at least the top of the knee as it looks like that's your plan. For those I plan just to put the felt on with the aluminum plate an forgo the rubber as the primary job of these will be for oiling as there is a way cover over all of this area protecting it from most of the chips. This will be on the list to do when I end up taking the table and saddle off again in the future.

I didn't mention it before but I'm also a big fan of the hand made bicycle industry. Exciting you're doing some building with your machine!
IMG_6837.jpg

The mill is reassembled and function. I finished the way wipers, installing them and the table today. Lash is much less then before (one big goal). The felt wipers lay down a nice slick of oil. Grizzly sourced Absolute digital scales (for X and Y) are ordered. Still to be done is the big flappy saddle way cover install but that will wait for the table scale install first. For now rags will cover the knee opening.

A side story and thumbs up- I ordered a 2" bar stock from Speedy Metals about 3 weeks ago. Never got a tracking # or delivery and a few days ago began the follow up. Turns out the package is in some galaxy at the Hodgkins, IL facility, but UPS can't say which galaxy... when I called them only got a pretty bureaucratic response (fill out emailed form for possible reimbursement). Called Speedy Metals and there Tera took care of me. She reordered the bar stock and will seek UPS claim on their end. That's customer service! Andy

Attachments

• IMG_2335.JPG
    IMG_2335.JPG
    844.7 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_2336.JPG
    IMG_2336.JPG
    662.6 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_2337.JPG
    IMG_2337.JPG
    518 KB · Views: 130
Back