[Lathe] Samson Lht-25b Turret Lathe

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Registered
I came across one heck of a deal on a lathe on CL, a Samson LHT-25B Turret Lathe.
i had considered purchasing a second operation lathe for a while.
one very troublesome piece of equipment that i frequently service( rebuild bi-monthly:mad:) is a large conveyor system that in my opinion didn't even think of longevity in their design, they literally slapped a light duty bushing assembly together and expect it to survive in a heavy duty, harsh environment :black eye:
i have tried to purchase commercially made replacements, unfortunately i need often need custom OD's that are not in the books or are not even made.
for example, i'll have a .250" shaft but have a .560" OD requirement.
sure i can pay to have them made, but now i can set up the lathe, dial it on on any size requirement i may have (up to 1" thru spindle) and pop them out in mere seconds at a very low cost to me.
i'll be making most of these bushings from delrin, some bronze and teflon as well.

Here's the specs,
10 1/4" swing, Gear Head Speed Control (4 speeds), 2 hp 230v 3 phase, coolant feed, t slot production crossslide , 6 position auto indexing turret tailstock, 5C Collet Closer, threaded spindle.

the well made lathe was manufactured by Lin Huan, Taiwan ROC.
i plugged her into my rotary phase converter and she operated flawlessly in all speeds.
the crossslide is like silk, the turret is rigid and operates as intended and smoothly at that!
this lathe has seen very little use, the last owner was almost giving this baby away- i was happy to fill a need.
the lathe will pay for itself on the first production run :D

May i introduce you to Leah,

here's a few pictures...
fIEPi6Wld2WwOo3TjLu-mtI745374wtFcpLF7KWAQt0=w640-h448-no.jpg 781D6MY75Ln5K-gXkAGqSHyv21X8dfEur6NMT8yDKH4=w640-h480-no.jpg HR3w_BjZbxdaYcYni3gNBjW7wP84nw3azc3tsKlqg7A=w640-h474-no.jpg RaCh3usY4KGE4RyhHeJLF9hyGLkN_SkhuunBNNfgYrM=w640-h480-no.jpg jeNwntaGTElN8rvtbI2Yg4qSBTEo2ts3rW8qsuRQIS0=w640-h414-no.jpg
i heard this song when i picked her up this morning and found it fitting as a namesake
(
)
thanks for reading!

Hey Mike,

Nice find! and a beautiful addition to your shop.
It is always great to find a useful, well-maintained machine at a good price.
(Also nice to have the space for additional equipment.........;))

It reminds me of a turret lathe I used to run on a job years ago.
Any idea the age?

btw, I knew that song, but never knew the artist.....

-brino

Nice score Mike I am sure you will provide a wonderful new home to the lathe.

That should be a handy little machine, and it sounds like the price was right. Congrats on a nice score. Mike

Hey Mike,

Nice find! and a beautiful addition to your shop.
It is always great to find a useful, well-maintained machine at a good price.
(Also nice to have the space for additional equipment.........;))

It reminds me of a turret lathe I used to run on a job years ago.
Any idea the age?

btw, I knew that song, but never knew the artist.....

-brino

Thanks Brino,
i'm thinking that it's 80's vintage but don't have proof yet.

Donnie Iris is famous for being unknown!

Thanks Brooks & FOMOGO, i have patiently waited for the right deal and it payed of big time.
the last owner didn't have a way to make 3 phase power so he never even fired it off.
I plugged her into my RPC and she sings like angel.
i have run it through all of it's speeds and got a basic understanding of it's capabilities and operation.
i started cleaning up and general inspection.
a careless operator messed up the collet closer, i'll need a little research into what is missing.
the 5c collet can be manually tightened but the closer is inoperative at this time.
My 4 yr old son was the first to use the lathe, he drilled a 1/4" hole in some .750" delrin stock to a depth of .680".
they grow up fast....
i'll need to get a couple tool holders for the crossslide and make up some .750" straight tool holders for the turret

thanks guys for reading and commenting!

Nice machine even looks like at sometime in its life it had a bar feeder hooked up . That little machine is a great find for doing production runs. I ran several different kinds and sizes of turret lathes about 35 years ago , they are fun till it gets into the thousand or so amounts. The old Warner and swazey lathes sure give you a workout I remember.

Nice machine even looks like at sometime in its life it had a bar feeder hooked up . That little machine is a great find for doing production runs. I ran several different kinds and sizes of turret lathes about 35 years ago , they are fun till it gets into the thousand or so amounts. The old Warner and swazey lathes sure give you a workout I remember.

Thanks Silverbullet for reading!
the collet closer isn't functional, i have the lever but there must be some parts missing.
i'll break it down and see if there is a logical reason.
i'll be making bushings in the hundreds, so that should keep it fun
all the best
mike

Back