Samson (Tida) TD-5AA lathe

matthewsx

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Finally had some time to look her over closer and there's nothing wrong with the QCGB :encourage:

Don't know if it was just stiff from sitting but I gave it some oil a few days ago and it spins freely now. I ordered the 120/127 change gear from Grizzly, some wipers, and another tapered gib since I think I cut the last one wrong.

Hope to have a little more time this weekend but still digging the garage out from my last minute push to straighten things up before my wife came.

John

matthewsx

26B6016F-1A47-4376-BC2B-FC89A3251C40.jpeg

matthewsx

Thanks, I got two boxes with the chuck but haven't really inventoried them yet. Little did I know when I bought the chuck that I'd be getting a lathe that matched....

I already had the Bison 4 jaw too, need to get a backplate for it but that should be a lot easier than the DIN 55027 the Bolton had.

John

matthewsx

Picked up this big old motor for $50 today.

66F91787-09EF-47E3-902F-3A57100FBD02.jpeg

Yes it is 5hp and it’ll take some work adapting to my machine but I don’t think going over size with a belt drive machine will hurt anything.

I figure this and a cheap VFD will be better than replacing the original contactors in this box.

2B6DF85E-8BA2-4E3C-86FD-CC5BD7B8A6D3.jpeg

I think it came from a Takisawa and the seller was another hobbyist who was glad to keep it out of the scrap pile.

I really like the variable speed on my other lathe and it should be even better on this one since I can spin it up much higher than the plain bearing Seneca Falls.

John

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
H-M Platinum Supporter
when i retrofitted my second shenwai 1236, i used a motor pulley smaller than the OEM pulley.
i have not changed belt position or had the need for backgear since

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
H-M Platinum Supporter
Any thoughts on a VFD?
i'm a huge fan of inexpensive chinese VFD's
here are examples of the types i have been testing

you can spend a lot more, but i don't see the need

matthewsx

Yeah, I have one of the cheap ones but it's only "2hp" so I need to upgrade. I was wondering about breaking resistors but now that I think of it with a threaded chuck I might not even want that.

This is the cheapest one I've found, is there any reason to go for the $180 unit you linked to?

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock