Samson (Tida) TD-5AA lathe

Finally had some time to look her over closer and there's nothing wrong with the QCGB :encourage:

Don't know if it was just stiff from sitting but I gave it some oil a few days ago and it spins freely now. I ordered the 120/127 change gear from Grizzly, some wipers, and another tapered gib since I think I cut the last one wrong.

Hope to have a little more time this weekend but still digging the garage out from my last minute push to straighten things up before my wife came.

John

26B6016F-1A47-4376-BC2B-FC89A3251C40.jpeg

Thanks, I got two boxes with the chuck but haven't really inventoried them yet. Little did I know when I bought the chuck that I'd be getting a lathe that matched....

I already had the Bison 4 jaw too, need to get a backplate for it but that should be a lot easier than the DIN 55027 the Bolton had.

John

Picked up this big old motor for $50 today.

66F91787-09EF-47E3-902F-3A57100FBD02.jpeg

Yes it is 5hp and it’ll take some work adapting to my machine but I don’t think going over size with a belt drive machine will hurt anything.

I figure this and a cheap VFD will be better than replacing the original contactors in this box.

2B6DF85E-8BA2-4E3C-86FD-CC5BD7B8A6D3.jpeg

I think it came from a Takisawa and the seller was another hobbyist who was glad to keep it out of the scrap pile.

I really like the variable speed on my other lathe and it should be even better on this one since I can spin it up much higher than the plain bearing Seneca Falls.

John

when i retrofitted my second shenwai 1236, i used a motor pulley smaller than the OEM pulley.
i have not changed belt position or had the need for backgear since

Any thoughts on a VFD?
i'm a huge fan of inexpensive chinese VFD's
here are examples of the types i have been testing

you can spend a lot more, but i don't see the need

Yeah, I have one of the cheap ones but it's only "2hp" so I need to upgrade. I was wondering about breaking resistors but now that I think of it with a threaded chuck I might not even want that.

This is the cheapest one I've found, is there any reason to go for the $180 unit you linked to?

Back