Samson (Tida) TD-5AA lathe

lol my lathe is junk compared to your made in Taiwan one... just clean that puppy up and you have a really cool lathe.

Last edited:
lol my lathe is junk compared to your made in Taiwan one... just clean that puppy up and you have a really cool lathe.
Sure would like to have a cam lock spindle….

I really should update this post with some of the stuff I’ve done like the VFD and motor swap.

John

I bet you could find a cam lock spindle that would fit or maybe a D1-5 back plate... better yet ill trade ya lathes :)

You probably should update your lathe thread, what better way to share solved problems, like changing out the motor... Your lathe was sold under many custom brands and was very popular, you did pretty darn well.

By the way, at the other machinist forums, your lathe is supposedly banned from general conversation, such elitists...!

Last edited:
I have a Peerless 12 x 36 that I plan to fit a D1-4 Camlock spindle and vfd to, like this one

turk 1024 lathe 2.jpg

Zero cost stand is coming along, lathe is up on Craigslist Free cabinets and cut down the Taiwan built “teen” desk I picked up from the side of the road a while back.

Have to figure out how to join it all together but I’m happy with how it’s looking so far.

39E14633-3B1F-4CE4-A801-50E06AE9CC3C.jpeg

here it is

samson.jpg

Not mentioned above is I didn't try to shoehorn that big 5hp motor into it, I ended up buying a 2hp and VFD that fit much nicer. Happy with her so far....

John

How often do you get the original inspection report from 40 years ago????

Did you verify any of these specs? I bought my Takisawa TSL-800D from a machine shop owner who bought it new in 1979, and it came with the original factory quality check form. There were a surprising number of measurements and I verified the ones I could understand, as there was no english explanation, just the cartoon pictures and numbers. Everything I could measure was still in spec!

Did you verify any of these specs? I bought my Takisawa TSL-800D from a machine shop owner who bought it new in 1979, and it came with the original factory quality check form. There were a surprising number of measurements and I verified the ones I could understand, as there was no english explanation, just the cartoon pictures and numbers. Everything I could measure was still in spec!
Not yet, haven’t even leveled it yet. It’s done everything I need and I’m pretty sure it’s more accurate than me.

John

Sure would like to have a cam lock spindle….

I really should update this post with some of the stuff I’ve done like the VFD and motor swap.

John

I understand the benefits of camlock, but for a hobbyist there are some nice benefits to threaded spindles, mostly economic.

I've never had any trouble finding an affordable chuck (of any type) for a threaded spindle. Even if you have a weird thread like the 1-5/8"-12 on my Rivett we can cut threads to make a custom back plate.

Back