Sanford SG

Mheaton92

Registered
Registered
So I just picked up a Sanford grinder and there are some problems. The main thing I need help with is the electrical system. When I was there the mag chuck worked great, but after transit it did not grab very strong at all (sometimes not at all). After doing some digging I figured out the electoral is not done very well as you will see. I also broke the belt in the process of taking the motor off. When removing the motor, I noticed there is no start capacitor in the spot for it. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
e24eecbdc24e342cb66115a6dfe14beb.jpg

8c4f8ee349d8b6dfa8b3ba8f7aaa862b.jpg

1f779237a63ca6084cf468feff2fe815.jpg

b3a8298da0a8500ddf40078d6acb2a8b.jpg

3ac835d8d7bb1ac46543101b09bd9050.jpg

51a15c6818316330f35615a0da6df9fe.jpg

b67c7092b19ebfff98c13bac7f4837e4.jpg

155c081dc5ecae1fa6de79f16a4cc7ce.jpg

Last edited:
NO CAPACITOR? Perhaps this a three phase motor, not possible to tell from the pictures. As far as the DC power supply for the chuck is concerned, to looks pretty half a--ed to start with, I would replace it with a modern Chinese chuck control that neutrolyses the residual magnetism when it is shut off.

NO CAPACITOR? Perhaps this a three phase motor, not possible to tell from the pictures. As far as the DC power supply for the chuck is concerned, to looks pretty half a--ed to start with, I would replace it with a modern Chinese chuck control that neutrolyses the residual magnetism when it is shut off.

It’s not a three phase motor, but in side of where the capacitor should be it is just wire nutted in. Looks like who ever did the job under did that as well.
If a am correct a ac motor can run without a start capacitor but it can cause issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do you know for sure that it is not 3 phase? The serial number indicates 1962 date of manufacture. (Second two digits of number).

On the power supply for the magnetic chuck replace the capacitor. It's old and past its useful life.

According to several Sanford sales brochures the SG machine only came with a 1/6 hp 110 volt AC motor. Here's a link to some Sanford brochures on the Vintage Machinery website.

Although you broke the belt it isn't that big a deal. You must have a later model or it's been converted to a V belt. In either case you should be able to take the remnants to an auto supply store and have them measure it for a replacement.

According to several Sanford sales brochures the SG machine only came with a 1/6 hp 110 volt AC motor. Here's a link to some Sanford brochures on the Vintage Machinery website.

Although you broke the belt it isn't that big a deal. You must have a later model or it's been converted to a V belt. In either case you should be able to take the remnants to an auto supply store and have them measure it for a replacement.
Yea the motor is 100% a 110 AC motor, I need to find a replacement start capacitor for it because from the reading I have done it can cause all types of issues. Why do you think it has been converted to a V-belt, it seems to be a flat belt that is really frayed?

I just had a thread about that mag chuck somewhere here. I believe there is a place here in the cities that can make you the proper belt.
When disassembling just know that everything is pinned with 3/16" pins. Also the lower ways are removable although probably no reason to remove.
Somebody has definitely been n that mag chuck electronics.
How where you able to turn the mag on without the motor running?
This is what the electronics should look like for the chuck.
1630243361214.png

He's got a selenium stack rectifier. Old, but not tube old. I would give it a full swap. Plus, you need something for demagetizing.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Back