Sanity Check Time

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I designed and built the following circuit. It consists of a power supply, two Solid State Relays, two DPDT PRD relays and two small linear actuators.

The PRD relays RR1 and RR2 act as the reversing contactor, the SSRs are the power switch.

The problem is that I seem to have a dead short. Double checked that the wiring is per the drawing.

The lower schematic is an alternate configuration, but the same function.

I don't see a shorted path, maybe you can see something

1674939802518.png

1674939877635.png

Don't see a short path in the schematic.
I'd suggest disconnecting one of the power rails, either one really. But say you disconnect the SSR from the 12V on both, and see if both chains still read as a short independently. I assume you're checking for short with an ohmmeter, rather than just powering it up. Also, I'd double check the resistance of the actuators for reference.

That screwdriver is blocking just enough of the wire harness that I can not follow the wires to see if there is a miss wire. Are you sure that the screw driver is not touching those terminals?

Don't see a short path in the schematic.
Good, then I'm not crazy. :confused 3:
I'd suggest disconnecting one of the power rails, either one really. But say you disconnect the SSR from the 12V on both, and see if both chains still read as a short independently.
Good Plan.
I assume you're checking for short with an ohmmeter, rather than just powering it up.
Nope, I powered it up, energized the one of the SSRs and the power supply instantly crowbarred. I actually blew up one power supply, and just installed another yesterday. The first one I had forgotten to switch it to 220V input, it actually had a voltage select switch on it.
Also, I'd double check the resistance of the actuators for reference.
Good idea.

I haven't done much troubleshooting yet. I'll be going down there tomorrow.

That screwdriver is blocking just enough of the wire harness that I can not follow the wires to see if there is a miss wire. Are you sure that the screw driver is not touching those terminals?
That picture was taken during assembly. The panel is now installed in the machine enclosure.

Could a motor (or the wiring to it) be shorted?
Try replacing the motors with light bulbs..... it won't give you direction, but it could give you an "all-clear" for the control wiring and logic.

Brian

Back