Sanjiang Mini Lathe, The best you can buy for $38 !!!!

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Registered
I started a woodworking project on the Unimat SL1000.
After a couple sample turnings, I decided the Unimat was too valuable to sacrifice to wood dust.
Instead I decided to wreck a cheap woodturning lathe instead of the Unimat
Enter the cheapest woodturning lathe i could find on Amazon, The Sanjiang 100watt (at24vdc) Mini lathe

IMG_5208.jpg

it came with an adjustable power supply 12-24vdc, some basic tools, an affixed drill chuck, a crudely adjustable tailstock , and a 45mm tool rest, some very inexpensively designed and made turning tools (throw these tools out unless you are going to be turning objects the magnitude of strength of a toothpick, they are poorly made turning tools- but really, what do you want though for $38???? )

after turning a sample piece in softwood (pine), i decided the lathe was in desperate need of modification.
the power was sufficient, but the spindle speed at 24vdc was way too fast for my taste
i ran through the available voltage selections, taking cuts with each.
running it on the 12vdc setting dropped the available torque, but brought the spindle speeds to workable levels
the lack of a finely adjustable tailstock meant that work needed to be held in the chuck or held by screw mandrel -
IMG_5208A.jpg

a spur drive center worked but , the lack of a tailstock screw adjustment made pressure turning sketchy at best

i decided to remove the existing tailstock and install a purchased adjustable tailstock assembly
i screwed up the vertical clamp on the purchased tailstock by knocking off too much material, trying to get the center height right.
shims were unacceptable.
i decided to reproduce the vertical clamp
some scrap 6061, was used

in the BP mill i roughed out the basic size

IMG_5216.jpg

left: original tailstock clamp , center: clamp billet , right: purchased adjustable tailstock
IMG_5217.jpg
IMG_5218.jpg

i got the basic form and used the original tailstock platform to drill a dimple to get the correct center height.
i transferred the billet to the Unimat for drilling the pilot hole
IMG_5221.jpg

IMG_5222.jpg

i drilled the center to 5/8", reamed to 16mm to accept the tailstock capsule , cross drilled to 4mm
i returned the clamp to the Unimat for slitting with a precarious set up

IMG_5224.jpg
IMG_5223.jpg

after slitting, i drilled one half of the clamp to 5.5mm, tapped the other side to 5mm, and installed a clamp bolt

i drilled and tapped the base of the tailstock to accept the retrofit adjustable tailstock, swapped out wing nuts for round head hex screws

IMG_5219.jpg

i installed the adjustable tailstock quill into the clamp block and set the projection

Wow, I’m not only impressed with your workmanship, but knowing a little of what you do, where do you find the time???

wish I had a fraction of that energy….

Wow, I’m not only impressed with your workmanship, but knowing a little of what you do, where do you find the time???

wish I had a fraction of that energy….
I modify stuff like this to get my mind off my regular work stresses
i figure if i'm working on this kinda stuff , i'm not thinking about work.
some of my best epiphanies come when i'm thinking of unrelated things

i wish i could slow down a little!

For the money I'd say that is a much better wood lathe than the 6 in 1 metal lathe / wood lathe / mill / drill press / jig saw / grinder they sell for $100-300 is at anything.

Sad thing is if it just had variable speed the 6 in 1 might just be adequate as an ultra budget entry level model makers tool. Hey I was curious and found one for $89. :alien:

1670114459823.png

We have one of these.

Fun to tinker with.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

For the money I'd say that is a much better wood lathe than the 6 in 1 metal lathe / wood lathe / mill / drill press / jig saw / grinder they sell for $100-300 is at anything.

Sad thing is if it just had variable speed the 6 in 1 might just be adequate as an ultra budget entry level model makers tool. Hey I was curious and found one for $89. :alien:
The 6n1 has the same spindle (M12x1.0)
So, chucks,centers, accy’s are often interchangeable
Great find BTW

Back