Santa Stopped by the shop early

welderr

Registered
Registered
Growing up my Dad had a big Marvel IMG_20181206_133308122.jpgHacksaw in his fabrication shop but I wasn't allowed to use it until I was older, I was allowed to use the little rigid horizontal band saw. When I was finally deemed big enough to use it I thought I had finally arrived ! Fast forward 35 years Dad is gone but I still use the Marvel ocaisionally but It's way to big for my shop, A friend who does a lot of my machine work at the railroad has decided to retire at 72. I was picking up the last job he did for me and he said he was selling, he said if there was anything I was interested in make him an offer, I walked around the shop with him and stopped to admire his Marvel Saw it was smaller than my Dad's but still to big for my needs. He said follow me and in the back corner behind one of his metal racks was a little Keller Power Hacksaw sitting on a pallet covered in dust , he said it was part of a lot he bought at an auction and never got around to hooking it up. I went home did some checking and made him an offer that he accepted ! Now to figure out where it goes ...

Is that Keller a 3WA? Looks identical to mine.

-frank

Ok, close though. Air over hydraulic down feed though by the looks of it. Nice scoop, looks like you have all the pieces.

-frank

It must have been hard wired and piped in to the building for air where it came from but I put a plug on the cord and air fitting on it . I oiled it up and took the drive belt off so I could turn it over by hand a few times and everything seemed free. I powered it up and it works as it should, the only issue I see is the air cylinder is leaking and not lifting enough, I will pull that and re seal it and try it out again .

Sounds like you have it figured. Mine was pretty far gone when I got it and the whole air/hydraulic thing mystified me for a long time. It still does not work right for me, but I run without. There seems very little information on these saws and attempts to get anything from the company aren't usually successful. One thing I can say though, if they're tuned and set up they make a good square cut.

I'm pleased that you have what looks to be one in really good running order.

-frank

Ironically a lot of the systems I work on at the railroad on the track maintenance equipment work very similar to the blade lift system , they just run on 24v DC instead of 110v DC, fortunately everything seems to be there because it would be hard to figure out what they were thinking otherwise :)

The square cut was why I bought it, the band saws just wander to much on a long cut if you are not careful , I like that you can set the Hack Saw and walk away from it, when you come back your piece is cut. TJ

Back