Savage 99 takedown photos

pdentrem

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
For those who may be curious about Savage and it's early model 99 takedown rifle. Here are a few photos. Years ago I had a Winchester 70SA that I had the barrel replaced with a heavy Douglas and naturally kept the original. After I purchased this Savage 99, I started thinking about a switch barrel. So checked the contour verses the forearm and found it was workable, cut a new shank and threaded with 10 tpi Square and ejector cuts, and dovetail for the stud that the forearm latches to, my local gunsmith took on the job of final fit and chambering to a cartridge. The original caliber of the barrel was 222 Remington, so we settled on a 22 BR. The rifle was 250-3000 so no action modifications were required but the cartridge spool would need changing or modification. I purchased a new to me spool from Nurwich in 308 and with some work so both the 250-3000 and the 22BR feed consistantly.
To do the swap
1. Open the action and remove any ammo.
2. Remove the forearm using the latch. Inside the forearm there are two items - the latch and a square hole which is used to remove the barrel from the receiver.
3. Using the forearm loosen the barrel and swap in the other one.
4. Use the forearm to do the final tightening to line up the notches etc.
5. Reinstall the forearm and go shooting!
Pierre
IMGP0822.JPGIMGP0823.JPGIMGP0825.JPGIMGP0826.JPGIMGP0827.JPGIMGP0828.JPGIMGP0829.JPG

Last edited:
Back