Savage X-course and Long Range rifle

mcrausch

Registered
Registered
This is my Savage bolt gun that I use for across the course and long range competition. It started as a 12BVSS in .243 Win, and remains a .243 although I have a .308 bbl for it. I took the original stock and added the adjustable cheek piece, Tubb butt plate, cut out the receiver for the stripper clip, modified the mag well for 5 down and turned the end down to 0.750 for the ladder sight. The muzzle crown is cut to 11 deg and polished. I made the hand stop rail with a radial arm saw turned into a long reach router. Rifle shoots about 0.75 inch at 200 yd on a double rest with a Weaver T-24. I have cloned it 4 times each one looking a little better. This is by far the best thing I have made with my SB

IMG_1757_1.JPG IMG_1826_1.JPG IMG_1827_1.JPG IMG_1828_1.JPG IMG_1829_1.JPG IMG_1874_1.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the complement. Yes, it is very satisfying to shoot a match and score well with a rifle you built yourself.

Pretty slick!
I have not shot my 6mm PPC gun at all this summer. Bummer. :(
Weather and life keeps getting in the way. I did get out with Win 92 in 44-40, but it sure needs a trigger job!

Nice work!! How did you recut the crown? Obviously u did it right. Makes me want to go to my gun room and continue work on that old Springfield I started about 7 yrs ago. I need to sink the action and bbl about 1/8" more when I left it to play with the big tools. It has a thumbhole stock and has been rebarreled with a .284 Schilen.

Joe

I used a 11 degree crown cutter and pilot from Brownells. I removed the entire factory recessed crown. I am not worried about crown damage since there is an eight inch bloop tube glued to the end of the barrel to improve the sight radius. I just turned the chuck by hand while feeding the cutter with the tailstock. After the last cut with the tool I cut some 600 grit sticky sand paper to fit the tool and lightly smoothed the crown. Interestingly the tool has a handle and a lathe is not required, the results with the handle seem to be just as good as the lathe. I have rifles I have done both ways.

Stock inletting is a drag. Seems like there is no way to avoid doing it twice, once for the action, then once more to get the 1/8 inch for the Accuglass. The Savage has aluminum pillars bedded with Accuglass. Barrel and nut are free floated.

Mike

Thanks for the info, I will check with Brownell's. I have a couple of barrel jobs in my future. I have done several stocks over the years but never a chamber and barrel. I have always wanted a single shot 6.5-06--someday.

Mike, That is some nice work.

We had a turkey shoot at the local range yesterday. 10 of my 4-H shooting team kids ( age 9-16 ) showed up and competed. They shot their Savage Mk. II's with iron sights against adults with scoped .22's.
Three of the 13 year old girls shot perfect scores and matched the best of the adults. Just a little bragging on "my" kids. :)
Bobby

neat little trick on the stripper clip , nice lookin Savage

Back