Save some of the Internet Gizmo's

Richard King 2

Master Machine Tool Rebuilder & Instructor
Former Member
Many of you know I save things. Many times it is a pain as my shop can be a bit messy. Yesterday I am so glad I saved the internet modems when I updated plans with the Century Link my provider. On Tuesday night I returned from my mini vacation to my cabin to discover the internet was down. I turned the modem off and on 3 times and still no internet. Those who know me, I am on the internet for work and play. So I signed into Century Link customer service with my AT&T cell phone and discovered that there was nationwide outages and Minnesota was one of them.

I went to bed hoping all would be better in the morning and it wasn't working and then after some errands I returned home around 1 PM it still wasn't working and I asked on a local forum on Facebook and discovered no one else was having issues so I flipped it off again and still had a blinking power light and no PC Internet. I was mad and then called Century Link who uses off shore help lines who for the most part I think are in India with thick accents. (they must figure we have thick accents, lol) After 20 minutes of carefully following her instructions she said my modem needed to be replaced and they would next day air it out. I asked if I could drive to a store and buy one and she said no, as it had to be Century Link compatible. Mind you I am an Internet Dummy and I said I have a few older modems we replaced when you told me they were out of date.

Then I hooked up the one we replaced the year before and damn it worked. I had to share that with you, so save those old modems they had you update with a new one.

Back