[4]

Saved from the breaker: 40-2215H !

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Chips'll Fly !

Registered
Hello everyone !
Delighted to have found this forum and astonished at the machines covered, especially my "new to me" INDEX 40 !
No motor but has power spindle feed; had power table feed in the past however, that's all gone but for the worm gear and inside of housing at the table end.
I had to disassemble it to get it to my trailer; swung by the car wash that had a hand-held wand; rattle-can of GUNK; gave it a long overdue bath !
Unload into the workshop and set to more cleaning, inspection, noting faults & needs.
Overall, in pretty good condition: lots of scraping still showing on the ways; eight(8) piece collet set; both Acme screws good but nuts, especially cross slide, pretty loose. Included was a ten page, type written listing of parts; unfortunately, for Serial Numbers 40-4124 & up.
The first signifcant repair item is going to be the intermediate, two(2) joined pulleys, jackshaft. Looks like a "field expedient" bespoke assembly that was less than accurate: allowed the upper #4014 and, lower #4013, pulleys to contact the #4016 base (I'm using part numbers off several images found herein).
OK... just like the game "rock, scissors, paper", I've got "rock 40-2215H"; used the "scissors" to get it home, and now need more informative "paper" !
It appears that the Manual that the Wells-Index folks sell, is the item I need to purchase ?
In the meantime, "more cleaning Drill Sargent !" as well as think about the 3/4 HP, 220/single phase, 5/8" shaft motor looking at me from the shelf.
My mother claims I started taking things apart and, putting them back together around age 5. Guessing that my father passed along his Tool & Die Maker genes also, 'cause it has gotten into much bigger things during the passing decades :)
Be a joy to hear from you all...
Don

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Registered
congrats on the new to you mill!
there are lotsa folks who share your interests here.

i too played with my toys as a child for about 3 days before taking them apart to see what made them tick.
now i do it for a living :)
good luck and welcome aboard!

middle.road

Actively Learning...
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Welcome, welcome.
Another Model 40 saved! very nice.

Chips'll Fly !

Registered
Thank You, fellas !

Talked with Audrey, nice gal, at Wells-Index yesterday; have a Model 40 Parts Manual heading my way !

Got to inspecting the first problem with my machine: the jackshaft, #1156, in the intermediate spindle drive pulley system. Quite the made-up jackshaft...

Looks like a used piece of 3/4" fully slotted shafting was GTAW built up; turned to the bearings I.D.; necked-down and pressed into a hole drilled into the flanged, 7/8" stub ! Incidental, a "wedding band" was turned to space the two(2) #77504 bearings apart.

Both ends of the jackshaft are mushroomed/worn; I laughed at the marks left by the gripping jaws of a vice on the 7/8" stub :D. It'll go into my curio display case of rogue pieces I've overcome ! I think the #4013 and #4014 pulleys might be usable ? We'll see when I can confirm part numbers & availability !

Still giving the column and knee a good bathing; bead blasted the lead screw, knee lock, table lock, spindle lock crank handles; bit-o-wire wheel brush finish and they are beautiful !

Looking forward to the Parts Manual...

Don

jakes_66

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Looks like that jackshaft was made on a tight budget... in a hurry... by an apprentice! :eek:

I've never used an Index Model 40. Got any photos? Welcome aboard, you'll find lots of good help and encouragement here.

Chips'll Fly !

Registered
Hiyah jakes_66... you should see the jackshaft in person !

Although, in my very early years, I made a few things that my Dad was kind enough to not laugh about (at least openly) !

Here's a picture of a Model 40 that mirrors mine, less all the tooling; I pulled it off the internet: credit eBay...

As you read, mine is about fully disassembled and, in the I.R.A.N. (Inspect, Repair, As, Necessary) phase ! We're becoming very familiar with each other ;)

Don

[6]
[5] [7]