[4]

Saved from the scrap heap - Now what to do with it?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

middle.road

Actively Learning...
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Early May I got a call from a friend who knew someone that needed a Drill Press removed so that it didn't go to scrap.
Had to be out the next day. (Of course...)
How hard could it be? Or actually 'How BIG could it be?'
We managed to pipe roll it out to the driveway but then it was beyond our strength ability to get it in the trailer.
Had to hire some young turks to assist. There went the overhead. Went smoothly though, thank goodness.
Need to figure out what to do with it. My Better Half wants it on the front porch for a 'Plant Stand' :grin:
I'd like to find someone redoing an old belt drive shop somewhere.

0514181721_Rc.jpg ..... 0514181943_R.jpg

Off-Loading was a breeze compared to loading her up.
0514182031_HDR_Rc.jpg

Nogoingback

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
You could always drill holes with it...

Bob Korves

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
It is quite possible to add line shafting for a single machine to your shop. Ask Benmychree, who has done it to install an old Monarch lathe in his shop. He might even post a couple pics for you. It is not that big of a deal, and leaves the machine working "old timey" like it was meant to and without being ruined by modifications. It does look like it is missing some parts, unless you have them kept separately.

FOMOGO

Active User
I would love to come across one of those. I'd do as Bob suggests and build an electric driven overhead shaft and pulley setup. Mike

middle.road

Actively Learning...
I have the handle off and stashed, that was the only part I took off of it. (I think)
There's a jerry-rigged something-or-another up on the top end that I'm not sure of it's purpose.
Unfortunately I've no room to do anything with it. Nor time/budget for that matter. Darn near every piece of major equipment in the shop is in need of some level of attention.
I just couldn't stand the idea of it going to scrap and had to 'save it'.
Hand spinning it and moving the quill it is smooth, I haven't taken the time yet to put and indicator on it though.
Doesn't seem to be 'clapped' out.

Bob Korves

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
It is missing the quill downfeed handle. Beyond that, it looks like it may be missing just about the complete power downfeed mechanism, though you did not post pics of that side and it is difficult to see what is going on there. Still, clean it up a little, add a quill handle and a drive train, lube everything, and you are ready for drilling holes

4ssss

Registered
Registered
Put it back on the scrap pile.

tertiaryjim

Active User
Most revisions just mount the motor and primary sheave on a plate together so the weight sits low .
Big thing to check for is the miter gears. Replacing them could be expensive.

WesPete66

Active User
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
Check around for the groups holding the steam and threshing shows in your area. Most of them have blacksmith shops and working displays. Surely one has a need for a nice machine like that. (If I may add it here, try on smokstak.com)

Silverbullet

Registered
Registered
You can mount quick motor next to it on the base beside the bottom pulleys. I'd fix it up and use it . There made to be repaired easily . Many have been done on YouTube videos. Belts can be had , I have lacers and the laces for those belts. You can hand lace them too. Great save I'd say.

chips&more

Active User
Registered
My project days are over. I would turn and run away.

jdedmon91

Registered
Registered
I’d mount a gear box powered by an electric motor that had a flat belt drive on it. That is what a lot of folks do. You can find stock bevel gears that you redo the feed on it with. Yes a big project but it would be a heavy duty drill press

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rgray

Active User
I'd let the wife use it for the plant stand for now.
Can always do something with it latter when you have the time possibly. In the meantime it's getting used.

middle.road

Actively Learning...
If I had a dependable truck running I would load it up, make a dash for Steamboat Springs, drop it in FoMoGo's driveway, attempt to get a look at the 'Stang and then Vamoose...
Haven't been in Steamboat since 1971...

Seriously if anyone hears of any possibility please let me.
I'm a bit of a 'Charlie Brown' and I can't scrap it. Don't have the guts to. My feeling is that it still has life in it.
I'm going to pursue WesPete66's idea, which also gave me an idea, Dollywood in Pigeon Forge has a large Blacksmith shop setup.
Some nice old iron there. I'll have to attempt to beat the bushes and come up with a contact over there.

FOMOGO

Active User
If I had a dependable truck running I would load it up, make a dash for Steamboat Springs, drop it in FoMoGo's driveway, attempt to get a look at the 'Stang and then Vamoose...
Haven't been in Steamboat since 1971...
Dan, if you're going to come all that way, might as well hang around for dinner and a few cocktails. Seriously, anyone here is always welcome to stop in. We don't get much company out here in the Tooley's, and it's always a treat to have someone to talk shop with. Cheers, Mike

NortonDommi

Registered
Registered
Camel back Drills apart from looking extremely cool are also very practical. Good throat, speeds to match larger drill bits, appreciating value as they are now all collectors items. Rebuild, restore and repower with a modern motor on a plinth.

Attachments

Superburban

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Seen a cool setup, where the owner mounted a 5 speed tranny from a small car. IIRC, it was a 1&1/2 HP motor. He had a modified shift lever, so it came forward just below the table. He had 5 forward speeds and 1 reverse for each step of the pulleys.

NortonDommi

Registered
Registered
Superburban, given what is there that is a good idea or just fit a 3~ motor and use a VFD. Less space, variable speed on the fly and still got a better drill than just about anything made today for a cheap price. Most of these drills had a maximum of 1 1/2 H.P. 1 H.P. would work fine.

middle.road

Actively Learning...
Seen a cool setup, where the owner mounted a 5 speed tranny from a small car. IIRC, it was a 1&1/2 HP motor. He had a modified shift lever, so it came forward just below the table. He had 5 forward speeds and 1 reverse for each step of the pulleys.
Now that would be cool. I'd like to see picts of that. Rather ingenious. Probably done up with what was on hand.
Kind of like what was one the Seneca Falls lathe that Derf re-did.

aliva

Active User
Send it to Keith Fenner he maybe able to use some parts for his

geoffm

Swarf
Registered
use a car serpentine belt (timing belt) as a flat belt, add a motor, preferably with a VFD and you will have a drill press to last the rest of your lift. I love my Denbiegh drill for making big holes in steel.

middle.road

Actively Learning...
If I had the room and the time I'd love to refurb this puppy, but unfortunatly I'm out of space and no budget to add on to the shop.
Need to find a home for it, else I'll just end up treating it and my Better-Half gets it as a plant stand on the porch...
I just can not bring myself to scrap it and Honey feels the same way.

[6]
[5] [7]