Saved from the scrap heap - Now what to do with it?

I’d mount a gear box powered by an electric motor that had a flat belt drive on it. That is what a lot of folks do. You can find stock bevel gears that you redo the feed on it with. Yes a big project but it would be a heavy duty drill press

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd let the wife use it for the plant stand for now.
Can always do something with it latter when you have the time possibly. In the meantime it's getting used.

If I had a dependable truck running I would load it up, make a dash for Steamboat Springs, drop it in FoMoGo's driveway, attempt to get a look at the 'Stang and then Vamoose...
Haven't been in Steamboat since 1971...

Seriously if anyone hears of any possibility please let me.
I'm a bit of a 'Charlie Brown' and I can't scrap it. Don't have the guts to. My feeling is that it still has life in it.
I'm going to pursue WesPete66's idea, which also gave me an idea, Dollywood in Pigeon Forge has a large Blacksmith shop setup.
Some nice old iron there. I'll have to attempt to beat the bushes and come up with a contact over there.

If I had a dependable truck running I would load it up, make a dash for Steamboat Springs, drop it in FoMoGo's driveway, attempt to get a look at the 'Stang and then Vamoose...
Haven't been in Steamboat since 1971...

Dan, if you're going to come all that way, might as well hang around for dinner and a few cocktails. Seriously, anyone here is always welcome to stop in. We don't get much company out here in the Tooley's, and it's always a treat to have someone to talk shop with. Cheers, Mike

Camel back Drills apart from looking extremely cool are also very practical. Good throat, speeds to match larger drill bits, appreciating value as they are now all collectors items. Rebuild, restore and repower with a modern motor on a plinth.

HPIM0231.JPG

HPIM0233.JPG

HPIM0226.JPG

Superburban, given what is there that is a good idea or just fit a 3~ motor and use a VFD. Less space, variable speed on the fly and still got a better drill than just about anything made today for a cheap price. Most of these drills had a maximum of 1 1/2 H.P. 1 H.P. would work fine.

Seen a cool setup, where the owner mounted a 5 speed tranny from a small car. IIRC, it was a 1&1/2 HP motor. He had a modified shift lever, so it came forward just below the table. He had 5 forward speeds and 1 reverse for each step of the pulleys.
Now that would be cool. I'd like to see picts of that. Rather ingenious. Probably done up with what was on hand.
Kind of like what was one the Seneca Falls lathe that Derf re-did.

Send it to Keith Fenner he maybe able to use some parts for his

Back