Saved from the scrap heap - Now what to do with it?

middle.road

Granite Stoopid...
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Early May I got a call from a friend who knew someone that needed a Drill Press removed so that it didn't go to scrap.
Had to be out the next day. (Of course...)
How hard could it be? Or actually 'How BIG could it be?'
We managed to pipe roll it out to the driveway but then it was beyond our strength ability to get it in the trailer.
Had to hire some young turks to assist. There went the overhead. Went smoothly though, thank goodness.
Need to figure out what to do with it. My Better Half wants it on the front porch for a 'Plant Stand' :grin:
I'd like to find someone redoing an old belt drive shop somewhere.

0514181721_Rc.jpg.....0514181943_R.jpg

Off-Loading was a breeze compared to loading her up.
0514182031_HDR_Rc.jpg

It is quite possible to add line shafting for a single machine to your shop. Ask Benmychree, who has done it to install an old Monarch lathe in his shop. He might even post a couple pics for you. It is not that big of a deal, and leaves the machine working "old timey" like it was meant to and without being ruined by modifications. It does look like it is missing some parts, unless you have them kept separately.

I would love to come across one of those. I'd do as Bob suggests and build an electric driven overhead shaft and pulley setup. Mike

I have the handle off and stashed, that was the only part I took off of it. (I think)
There's a jerry-rigged something-or-another up on the top end that I'm not sure of it's purpose.
Unfortunately I've no room to do anything with it. Nor time/budget for that matter. Darn near every piece of major equipment in the shop is in need of some level of attention.
I just couldn't stand the idea of it going to scrap and had to 'save it'.
Hand spinning it and moving the quill it is smooth, I haven't taken the time yet to put and indicator on it though.
Doesn't seem to be 'clapped' out.

It is missing the quill downfeed handle. Beyond that, it looks like it may be missing just about the complete power downfeed mechanism, though you did not post pics of that side and it is difficult to see what is going on there. Still, clean it up a little, add a quill handle and a drive train, lube everything, and you are ready for drilling holes

Most revisions just mount the motor and primary sheave on a plate together so the weight sits low .
Big thing to check for is the miter gears. Replacing them could be expensive.

Check around for the groups holding the steam and threshing shows in your area. Most of them have blacksmith shops and working displays. Surely one has a need for a nice machine like that. (If I may add it here, try on smokstak.com)

You can mount quick motor next to it on the base beside the bottom pulleys. I'd fix it up and use it . There made to be repaired easily . Many have been done on YouTube videos. Belts can be had , I have lacers and the laces for those belts. You can hand lace them too. Great save I'd say.

Back