Saved from the scrap heap - Now what to do with it?

If I had the room and the time I'd love to refurb this puppy, but unfortunatly I'm out of space and no budget to add on to the shop.
Need to find a home for it, else I'll just end up treating it and my Better-Half gets it as a plant stand on the porch...
I just can not bring myself to scrap it and Honey feels the same way.

That drill press may not have been made to run off a line shaft, if it were, it would have two pulleys on the lower shaft, one fastened to the shaft, the other "loose", that the belt runs on when the machine is not in operation; to start the machine, the belt is shifted onto the "tight" pulley by a shifting fork, usually foot operated on the base of the drill. Obviously, this drill was run with an electric motor usually located on a plinth or column behind the machine; my 21" Canedy Otto drill has an original motor mount at the right side, towards the operator and drives the lower shaft carrying the cone pulley via vee belts, this machine was made in 1947, and I am aware that they were still available up to the mid 1960s at least.

Step one: Shoot tough gloss paint on it
Step two: Mount a mailbox to the table
Step three: Place at front of house
Step four: Sip beverage and admire from porch

Keith Fenner did a video series on his rebuild of an old Camelback which he is currently using in his shop. Nice drills In my opinion. Just heavy and awkward as hell to move.

Heavy and awkward is the truth.
I thought myself and a friend with the Wife assisting could load it up. No way. Couldn't even tip it safely onto the trailer.
Getting it out to the trailer on pipes wasn't too bad.
Cost a C-Note to get it on the trailer. My buddy down here who owns a tow service was a bit miffed, he made a call to a guy up where we were picking it up to get us 'taken care of'. Didn't quite pan out that way. :concerned:
Off loading was no problem - Holly handled it just fine.

The mailbox is a keen idea, I mentioned that to the Wife and she chortled.
Except that around here, someone would grab it to get the cash for scrap. :cool:
Probably going to end up as a plant stand, ivy and flowers and ... <shutter>

Keith Fenner did a video series on his rebuild of an old Camelback which he is currently using in his shop. Nice drills In my opinion. Just heavy and awkward as hell to move.

Superburban, given what is there that is a good idea or just fit a 3~ motor and use a VFD. Less space, variable speed on the fly and still got a better drill than just about anything made today for a cheap price. Most of these drills had a maximum of 1 1/2 H.P. 1 H.P. would work fine.

A VFD on that gorgeous tool would be sacrilegious.

A VFD on that gorgeous tool would be sacrilegious.
Sacrilegious would be using a great piece of plant for a stand for plants. Using modern technology to not only keep old machinery in use but to also expand its capabilities and enhance the inherent capabilities is what engineers do.
There is nothing "sacrilegious" about using the best choice to keep a machine running.

Back