Saving a Craftsman 6" 101.07301

The Taig, Sherline, and Unimat chucks are all similar. Even with the stepped steel jaws, their 3 jaw chucks have reversible jaws rather than separate internal and external sets.

Then I wouldn't buy one of the Taigs.

Hmmm. Is there a photo around that shows the back side of one of their jaws? There was once a US made 3-Jaw chuck brand that came with only three reversible jaws. I don't recall the name nor where I saw it. But the side of the jaw teeth that contacts the threads in the scroll only had single line contact with the scroll when gripping the ID of a work piece. So they wore out pretty quickly. I can't recall the maker's name nor where the photo of the back side of the jaws might be. But at least the jaws and scroll were made of hardened steel.

Hmmm. Is there a photo around that shows the back side of one of their jaws?

No photo, but here are some drawings

unlike most chuck teeth that are shaped like this (( (( (( ((
the reversible jaws teeth are like this () () () ()
so the tooth contact profile is the same with the scroll no matter which direction they are inserted.

Note that they really are properly designed for external holding only. If used internally you only have the convex contacts against each other. It works, but not a good design

Last edited:
Need to figure out why the ammeter/voltmeter doesn’t work, and probably need a new tach as I get a lot of odd readings. Need tooling too, but it runs!
Untitled by bigangryscot, on Flickr

Back