Saving a Craftsman 6" 101.07301

TonimusMaximus

Registered
Registered
Hello everyone. New to the forum. I have no lathe experience, but a fair amount of general fabrication experience. Picked up a 101.07301. I've got a bunch of replacement parts on the way. I'm hoping to recoup some of that by selling off some of the parts that are still good that I'll have extras. Like I bought a whole tailstock assembly rather than trying to piece it all together.

I called Clausing this morning. Got a quote for new bearings. The left spindle bearing/bushing is out of stock and two weeks out. Once it gets here, I'll have another batch of parts on the way. Yeah, I probably could've waited and bought something cheaper, or even bought a Harbor Freight lathe, but this one tickled my fancy. And there's something to be said for being able to buy parts in chunks versus having to buy it all at once.

EDIT: I can't attach pics from Flickr. Says it is "spam like content".
DOUBLE EDIT: Downloaded and uploaded to forum to get to post.

Last edited:
If anyone can help me locate the last little bits I need, I would appreciate it...

I need:
-A pair of backgear bushings. The lathe only had one in it, and it is quite worn.
-Directions to a compound and tool rest that'll fit and not cost and hopefully not cost an arm and a leg.

For a backplate, I plan on welding a 2H grade nut to a piece of 1/2" plate and turning it circular. Then I'll scribe the correct bolt hole pattern for whatever. Then I need to figure out what chuck I'm going to start with.

Strictly speaking, you don't have to have a compound. But you would have to have access to a working lathe and a milling machine to make something. For example, the user-made tool post that came with my Atlas 618 is shown below attached to the cross-slide:

I am only using this for a cutoff tool holder now. It was a major pain to shim tools to try to get on centre. If I had to swap out tools, I had to spend a stupid amount of time finding the right combination of shims. I quickly bought a 0XA quick change tool post from Shars and then 6 more tool holders. My compound has some slop in it and so with the QCTP mounted it is not quite as rigid but it works well for most things. I have some ideas for improving the compound.

My lathe came with a tired 3-jaw chuck that has significant run-out. I bought a 4-jaw, again from Shars, that I'm pretty happy with. Their backplate (cast iron) was only about USD $40 and was threaded and drilled to match the chuck. It was a simple matter to finish turning the backing plate true to lathe and to match the chuck. YMMV.

Craig

While I’m sure you already know, EBay has or will have at some point, just about every little part and piece for these machines. You may have to wait a bit.

You could also have ordered the back gear bushings from Clausing along with the spindle bushings.

Although you have to be a Donor ($10/year minimum) in order to have access, in Downloads you will find a clean copy of the Craftsman parts list, among other things.

Most of the parts on a 101.07301, and I think all of the accessories other than those that screw onto the spindle threads, are the same as those found on or for the Craftsman 101.21400 and Atlas 618. Most accessories for Atlas 3950 and 10100 and Craftsman 101.21200 are the same as for your machine. Be aware that although there are some exceptions, most eBay sellers are basically clueless as to what they are selling.

Clausing doesn't list the back gear bushing. I had the part number (M6-249), but they had no listing for it.

Just had a guy agree to 3d print two sets of change gears for a stupid low price. I should have them in a few days. I'll post pics when I get them.

Clausing doesn't list the back gear bushing. I had the part number (M6-249), but they had no listing for it.
I'm an idiot. I was talking about the step pulley bushings they no longer have listed. That's what I only have one for. The back gear bushings seem to be in okay shape. I had the right part number, but they still didn't have it any more.

Another question. On the tumbler main stud, between the stud and compound gear, there are several plastic-ish shim washer things. There is also one on each side of the back gear, between the gear and collar/washer. Does anyone know what these are made of? I've got a vinyl cutter that would make short work of stuff that size. Just need to figure out what it is made of.

At least in the later 618's, the spacers are made from a gray fiber material. They are quite common in electronics from that period up through at least the 1960's but I have never heard or seen them referred to as anything other than fiber washers. Sometimes they are a maroon color but more often gray.

The material is called fish paper. That's exactly what I needed to know. Thank you. Fish paper is a lot cheaper than plastic shim stock, too.

EDIT: I just ordered a 3" by 20' roll of the stuff. If anyone needs any of the .010" fiber washers, let me know.

Last edited:
Back