Saving a Craftsman 6" 101.07301

Thanks for the rocketry info. Sorry for the derail.

Parts for the lathe are looking good.

Well, I thank you for the journey back to my childhood days. Those were fun days. I was into astronomy and dreamed about going to Mars. I built my own Newtonian style telescope. It had a 10" mirror and you had to climb a small step ladder to look in the eyepiece. I designed it specifically for looking at the planets.

Knowing what I know today, I would not want to go to Mars. :grin: At least not with our current technology. We might be able to get there, but it wouldn't be the most comfortable trip. It's easy to look in a telescope and think, "Hey that planet is right over there. Not all that far". But that's an extreme delusion. :grin:

I already have too many hobbies. I have a tendency to get interested in everything. When I saw the Rocketry forum I was tempted join. and then a voice came into my head saying, "Don't you dare start another hobby!" :grin:

I've been watching Tucker Gott, a YouTuber dedicated to paramotoring. And I would love to get a paramotor and fly around the sky sitting in a chair. It's got to be the coolest hobby ever. Fortunately the hobby is a bit pricey and that's about the only thing keeping me from getting into it. Probably a good thing actually.

I had the Big Bertha rocket but never could find a safe place to launch it. Always wanted the little camera :)
Making good progress on the lathe. Changing the spindle bushings can be tricky- be careful there, the headstock clamps have been known to break off when overtightened
Mark

On the subject of breaking off the upper bearing area on the headstock of a 101.07301, it does not appear that, unlike the shim packs in the babbit bearing headstocks, the designer ever intended that the clamping screws be used for any attempt at squeezing the bushings enough to significantly affect the running clearance. They should only be tightened enough to prevent the bushings from spinning. If, after proper tightening with a screwdriver and no cheater pipe for twisting it, the running clearance is excessive, your only option is a new spindle.

I am replacing the bearings because I’m redoing the whole machine. The bearings that were in it had very little play. But I will keep that in mind when I am tightening the caps.

Back