Saving a Craftsman 6" 101.07301

This toolholder came with my Atlas 618.

SolidToolholder.jpg

The compound is removed before mounting this. The set screws at the bottom push on angled brass pins that engage the tapered boss on the cross-slide. Crude but it does increase rigidity. I now keep my parting tool in this holder and it parts off steel without chatter. Much better than if I hold a parting tool in the QCTP on top of the compound.

Craig

The compounds do pop up on the bay fairly regularly. Though most sellers there seem to think these lathes are made of gold.

I'm likely going to do something similar to the setup Craig got. I'll keep an eye on eBay for someone who doesn't think the compound is worth more than a halfway decent QCTP setup.

Bear in mind that although the turret tool post mounted directly to the cross slide is fine for turning, it won't cut decent threads.

Almost done. I got a pair of Taig 3" chucks, and I'll have a compound on the way shortly. I plan on getting a Shars 0XA QCTP set, then it is on to acquire tooling. I still need to make up my mind on which chuck to get when I want to push the limits and turn larger diameter stuff.

Looking great!
How do you change the belt?
I have one of those.
I'll take some pics.

How do you change the belt?

You have to remove the spindle.
You can use a link belt to avoid that, but I've only replaced my belt once in 25 years so that isn't that big of a deal.
It's also a good opportunity to do a thorough cleaning and lubing.

I was afraid of that.
Good time to get to know this little fellow.

I plan on using a twist link belt for the final drive. I expect that since I'm doing this for the first time, there's going to be a few iterations I have to go through.

Back