Saving a Craftsman 6" 101.07301

Made a cleaner PWM control board that actually worked this time. I’m glad I’ve got a tiny oscilloscope. The second 555 timer I put in the circuit was DOA, and I couldn’t figure out why I wasn’t getting the output I expected. Checked with the ‘scope and I had the expected output from the first chip. Replaced the second with another and I got my signal. The hardest time I had was adjusting the pwm timing resistors. Each MC-2100 board is a little different and each set of cheap ceramic caps are different. Took me about an hour to fine tune the value of the timing resistor. Works now, though.

Untitled by bigangryscot, on Flickr

cool beans! Very neat work on the PWM generator for running the MC2100, looking forward to the finish product. The sooner you can get that onto a table the better as it wouldn't take much to tip that over or knock it off the barrel.

Nice looking compound you got there ;)

Is that an old Nova I spy in the top right corner of the second pic?

That's a cool 3-jaw chuck. Did you buy that somewhere?

Craig

That is my best friend’s ‘63 Nova. Lots of hours in that car.

The chuck is from Taig Tools. Got a 3 jaw and 4 jaw from them per phubbman’s recommendation. 1x8 tpi.

I just had a pair of those and some extra jaws delivered today. REALLY nice chucks and even better for the money.
They were packed unbelievably well. Chuck in a plastic bag (well oiled) ,in a paper bag, in a plastic bag , wrapped in newspaper, in a box and in a box.
HWF

After I get to making chips, I plan to make a proper pin spanner for the chuck and then make some harder jaws. I'll make some two step jaws out of steel so I can grab larger diameter stock.

FWiW, all solid jaw 3-Jaw chucks should come with two sets of jaws. The so-called outside set is for holding parts larger than about half the diameter of the chuck. Unfortunately, the outside set often gets lost, especially if the seller of a used chuck isn't the original owner.

Back