Saving a lathe

Congrats! Just remember slow and easy....don't hurt yourself or the machine.
-brino

"Need to look for a motor. It looks like it had a 220 3ph.
Going to change to a 220 1ph or 110."

Seriously consider getting a VFD and keeping your 3 phase motor. 3ph motors are simple, smooth and reliable. The VFD will also give you speed control beyond what you get with belt and pulley changes.

I'll think about it.
Trying to do it on the cheap.

Rather than go to the expense and work of changing out the motor why not just use a static phase converter. I have a Sheldon MW-56-P lathe that was built in the early 1960's. It has a 2 hp 220/440 3 phase motor. I'm powering it off a 20 amp 220 single phase feed using an American Rotary 1-3 hp static phase converter. The phase converter costs far less than a new motor. There are several sizes available direct from the company or from their eBay store. A 1/2 to 3 hp converter costs $65.00 with free shipping:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Sm...692360?hash=item5679811dc8:g:CAwAAOSwVm5Y~oYa

By using this style converter you can use all the original controls. It took ne less then 15 minutes to install one on my lathe. The only downside is that you loose approximately 1/3 of the max hp since the 3rd phase is only generated to start the motor. I currently have 3 machines in the shop (Bridgeport series I vertical mill, Racine 66-W2 power hacksaw, and the Sheldon lathe) running off static phase converters. They all get worked hard and none has ever suffered from lack of power.

There are others that would suggest using a VFD for the same purposes. The downside of a VFD is that in many cases all motor and control functions have to be done through the VFD. This requires either disconnecting or removing the original control station. In my case all functions are controlled by the original built in switches and speed controls.

Thinking about it, I should really see if the motor even works.
It looked like it was never hooked up to power since it got put in the shed.
Motor is big and heavy. Haven't even looked at it to see what it is.
Main concern was to get it out of the shed.

So it's a single phase motor. K-C made most of the motors for both Atlas and Walker Turner. They are nice well made motors.

Do you think it's the original motor???????
Looks old.
Looks like the cap has been changed.

Do you think it's the original motor???????
Looks old.
Looks like the cap has been changed.

I would think the age is about right, I wouldn't be surprised if it is original.

I've had to replace caps on several motors including the Walker Turner badged K-C on my drill press. Finding caps that work electrically is easy, finding one the exact same physical size not so much. My new cap was smaller so I gutted the old cap and used it as a container for the new one. I filled the extra space with "duct seal" (electricians Play-Doh). Externally it looks original.

Back