Saving a Logan 825

The lathe is really coming along well. Glad to hear th carriage lock worked out. Instead of a square head bolt for the lock, you might consider a Kipp handle: you'll never have to reach for a wrench again.

Last edited:
Thanks. Call me strange, but I actually like the square head bolt and wrench for the carriage lock. The fit between the wrench and bolt on my Atlas is snug enough that I just leave the wrench on the bolt but it is easily removed when it gets in the way of the tailstock. Since I got a QCTP, the only use the wrench gets is the lock or moving the compound.

I took a break from online video meetings today to work on the Logan for a little while. I managed to make some good progress on the dial for the compound. The only remaining task is to stamp the numbers.

yxEcGiWq-hZLYwsbMm2_JkjdPuc_R0UxYPawEza1T8rvb8EFQRwltOwNSUi6wrEJzqIUoUTYqAYbPFOUzQmIQ7xbOBtvaDK8DjdGelaM7Xpn33S62OKTezGK8UjnOgjvsg_hp9COrq4=w2400

8af-h-3yfVCJRzk7LeLfEugAwWoJ_VDjj1Xq-f96631_n7NlOudPB_bpAk7Oggy-Rv1qgP_1Q_Ua3AajBnH8-olLlbsBY1iby6-YYn2S3yg1bsCw1MFIbrUjJpFqkBbhx79m_5SAAiM=w2400

S3Ge5RwDwZQHEEyf7b4rczNIV3BNEDPognuT84mouWFySlCOGhhk2KsIfy_bQd6Ht4E1FshqvDkmwCDeUrqduzbNU6vD-heMWSsxdV-vkMdF8fHG-OxUaBEh-3g3aRwGGQXPevSSgkQ=w2400

The counterbore is for a thrust bearing that will take up the axial load on the leadscrew.
Just looked at your Craftsman drawings, these are sweet! I've been working on a set-up like on my Clausing 8511. What steel did you use? The threads and finish are awesum!

Clausing8520TableScrew.png

Just looked at your Craftsman drawings, these are sweet! I've been working on a set-up like on my Clausing 8511. What steel did you use? The threads and finish are awesum!

View attachment 335789

Thanks. Once I have a chance, I'll post the drawings for the Logan if people are interested. I used mostly the same design for the Logan as I did on the Atlas/Craftsman lathe. The material I used is 1144 steel. It is free machining and doesn't have the propensity to rust like 12L14. The crossslide assembly from Clausing looks much more elaborate than the Logan, but I don't see a gear for power feed.

I am! And thanks. Noob, I tried 1018 and paid for my lesson :( Didn't think to ask how you extended the shaft or I didn't read close enough.

No power on the 8511, 8513, and 8520. 8545 did, I can't recall if the 8530 did. 8511 was sold with a BP M-head and only a single LH handle. the 8513 was sold without a head. I saw an auction once for a couple of 8513 with what was perhaps a waterjet head. Seller reported the table showed zero wear. Seriously considered bidding, but too many projects . . .

Ron

I am! And thanks. Noob, I tried 1018 and paid for my lesson :( Didn't think to ask how you extended the shaft or I didn't read close enough.

1018 should be fine, but the 1144 cuts nicer. I didn't extend the shaft of the screw. By removing the nut to hold the handle on I gained a little bit of the travel back that I lost.

I was able to scribe the dial for the cross-slide tonight. 200 little marks done. I just need to stamp the numbers on the dials, but they will work for now. I need to wrap up the electrical and build a proper stand for it.

fxyWDh2o3BUkMlT3xXQ_dzT57rSR7Qq3PL_zaVpocSc3b94fkfUQ2Hzf-B4YC4eg1aa-OI-xKLQfpPhJFBYcEUprvEWth9yYM3hYl_-B8KQ26VVChTWJQsoYixtqvHvEZVPvpas7eNk=w2400

Those are good looking dials: nice job. What tool did you use to scribe them?

Thanks. I'm pretty happy with how they turned out. To scribe the marks I used a 60 degree threading tool turned on its side. The indexing was done with a 200 tooth saw blade. I didn't take any pictures of the process this time, but there are some in my thread on the Craftsman/Atlas forum.

Back