saw an awesome vintage drill press

Cyclebuster

Registered
Registered
was at the scrap yard looking for a belt pulley, and there it is! a 4 stage 3 in pulley, on a 4 ft shaft. sadly it was mounted on a magnificent 10 ft tall open arm cast iron drill press Well i bought the pulley, i only need a 3 belt, but its all good. its got an internal clutch, i dont need that either. sad some scrapper took all the brass from that magnificent old drill. laying on top of it was a bridgeport swing head telescoping mill. gutted as usual.

was at the scrap yard looking for a belt pulley, and there it is! a 4 stage 3 in pulley, on a 4 ft shaft. sadly it was mounted on a magnificent 10 ft tall open arm cast iron drill press Well i bought the pulley, i only need a 3 belt, but its all good. its got an internal clutch, i dont need that either. sad some scrapper took all the brass from that magnificent old drill. laying on top of it was a bridgeport swing head telescoping mill. gutted as usual.

What scrap yard do you go to? The ones up here won't sell anything once they have it.

John

There's an internal logic not always available to those of us with noses pressed to the candy store window. Sometimes it's as simple as being in a bottom-feeding-scum-sucking-lawyer-liability situation. Rather than take a chance on a lawsuit when only pennies are to be made, the scrap yards just won't bother reselling. Other times, such as here in my area, the big dog auto wrecking yard prevents any of the other general scrap yards from reselling any auto-related parts they take in as scrap. I've seen new aluminum wheels, manifolds, et al, going as scrap when I'd have paid dollars for them. OTOH, I can walk through the brass/stainless/copper scrap bins and search for materials. They have a huge yard of steel scrap where I've picked up many a needed piece.

Off topic, but there I found a perfectly sized piece of steel stock for a project. However, when I put cutting tool to said stock, it just skated. Whatever I bought was harder than the Rockwell-hubs-of-hell. Such is the lot of those of us who grew up working with what was at hand.

jack vines

Back