SB 11" x 4' lathe 1920-1921 minor refurb

tbonektm

Registered
Registered
I recently purchased an 11" SB lathe serial number J1044. I have been able to find almost zero information regarding this machine. It seems there were machines produced between 1920 and 21 with the "J" prefix. No information on south bends site about these particular models even existing.

I am currently working on cleaning it up and getting it operational. I will need to repair or replace the back gear, the large diameter gear has one tooth missing. Other then that nothing seems to be damaged. If anyone owns, or has information regarding this model I would love to hear about it. It appears these lathes shared some parts with either 9" or 10" models but I am unsure. How rare are the 11" lathes?

Look at Steve Wells site for possibly more info about your lathe. There is a serial number page that might be helpful.

Thanks for the link. Although I had already found it. Basically the only info I can muster about this lathe from the site is the fact that it is either a 1920 or 1921. I was hoping to see what kind of parts interchanged with the more popular "newer" 9 and 10 inch models.

This machine has a 1.5 x 8 spindle thread, a flat belt 3 step cone pulley spindle. Two piece non-shimmed spindle bearings. a single wall apron with the "star" knob for engaging power cross feed. I will try and post pictures in the next few days, some dimensions of the spindle (spindle isn't in great shape.) and some information about the back gear (in hopes someone will know if it may interchange with one from a more popular model)

Back