SB 16" wiring help

Investigator

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have a SB 16" that I need help hooking the motor back up. This is where it was when I bought it:

20170812_101922[1].jpg

I had to move it so I disassembled it into major components. I screwed up, and simply cut the wires from the motor to the switches. It has what I call the 'overhead lever' switch which goes over the head stock. That is connected to two rocker type switches on the back of the machine:
20170812_102346[1].jpg

20170812_102418[1].jpg

There are 6 wires from the switches on back to the motor, which is 2 speed. The motor wires are marked T1, T2, T3, and T11, T12, T13. The wires from the switches to the motor are all black. I need to figure out which wires go to which.

Does anyone have a diagram, or is there a way to figure it out?

You can ring it out with an ohmmeter or a battery and test lamp. Put the switch in position low and check for continuity from each of the incoming supply wires to the wires to the motor. Mark the 3 that you find continuity on. Then put the switch in the high position and do it again, you should find the other three.
Now when you connect it all up, the motor may run in reverse on one or both speeds. To fix that, just swap two of the wires on whichever wire group is wrong. For example, if slow is ok but fast is backwards, swap two of the fast wires. The Reverse setting probably gives only one speed- I'm guessing low most likely- maybe someone who owns one of those will chime in
mark

Last edited:
Back