SB 16X60

That machinetoolcollectionitius disease struck again. I picked up a 16" x 60" SB today.

IMG_0625.jpg

Came with a 12" 4 jaw, complete 5c collet set, with a nice tray, that someone set up to mount at the tail stock, or head stock. A well abused 8" 3 jaw (yes, thats a crack above the 5 &6). a spare 8" backing plate, the wrenches for the saddle and tail stock locks, and a 4 way tool post. And most of a steady rest(missing the fingers, but the knobs and all are all there).

SAM_1250.JPGSAM_1256.JPG

The ways have a good bit of wear. The travel knob for the saddle needs a new bushing, or something, but is quite usable the way it is. Otherwise, all the gears look good. He never did any threading, so the threading dial was never engaged as long as he had it.

SAM_1223.JPG

Anybody ever see a factory compound like this? I saw it in the pics the seller sent before I drove down, and figured it was a repair job. And I would have to look at replacing it. Surprisingly, it looks to be well done, if not factory. I do not see any reason not to use it.

SAM_1235.JPG
SAM_1236.JPG
SAM_1237.JPG

And some more closeups, since we all like to see pictures.

The tailstock slide (I know, you already knew that.). I never saw a set screw on one before. I also thought it was interesting that it has both inch, and metric scales. I habve to look it up again, but IIRC, this was made in 1955.
SAM_1228.JPG

The quick change gear box.
SAM_1231.JPG
SAM_1232.JPG
SAM_1233.JPG
The lead screw, about 1.2 way, then towards the tail stock, then near the headstock.
SAM_1229.JPG
SAM_1241.JPG
SAM_1242.JPG
SAM_1242.JPG
SAM_1244.JPG

Then about the worst of the wear on the ways. I don't think they will hurt anything I do, as most of my plans are for the larger diameter, and more facing ops. I have the 13" gunsmith lathe for most of what I do.

SAM_1243.JPG

That crossslide was modified either they broke the front off from a crash or the crashed so many times the front looked terrible so they cut, milled it off and replaced. You can see marks just below the modification giving you a clue that it has been crashed.

Thats what I'm thinking. just surprised the job was so well done.
looks like it was crashed a few times after thew repair also. :oops:

Some folks never learn.

Here is what I have of the center rest. Does not look quite the same as other South Bends I have seen online, but that could be just a difference in years. All dimensions seem correct.

100_0075.JPG

Your steady rest may be the correct height but the base isn't correct. All of the ones I've seen for south bend lathes have a V machined in the base to keep it square to the ways. Maybe you can modify it.

It does have the Vee cut, look just above the hold down clamp in the pic. Had me confused for a bit also, thinking how the heck could I miss the cutout. I mounted it, and the center is by eyeball matching the center of the tail stock. So I think it is usable (once I make the missing fingers). It just does not seem to have the southbend style.

Back