SB 9" Apron Mounting Hole Dimensions

blyons626

Registered
Registered
I just picked up a clean 1935 9" Workshop model that is in super clean condition that I am currently in the process of rehabbing.
In the future I wish to acquire the follower rest and hopefully the taper attachment if I find one that doesn't break the bank..

The problem is, my apron is missing the mounting holes in the casting that the attachments mount to...
I've attached pics below which show what holes are missing.
I know that each apron is scraped in to match the bed, so I don't really want to purchase a random apron and would rather have the holes machined in the existing apron.

Does anyone know the size/threads that these holes are, and the dimensions on the apron these holes
are located.

1542376076266.png

1542375827944.png

So far as nomenclature is concerned, the apron is the front of the carriage where the feed clutch, half nuts, etc. are mounted. The part that you are speaking of is the carriage, the apron is a removable part of the carriage.

I have a similar problem with my clausing 100 MK 3, but looking at your pictures I think your plan is to bolt an adapter plate on the ends where the red circles are. Do you plan to mill those surfaces? Supporting the moveable end of the taper attachment would then be bolted to the opposite side of the adapter plate. My support bolt holes are on top of the cross feed guides
From what I have read, the nut through the lead screw moving the cross feed must be removed then attach the linkage between the cross feed and the taper attachment. If I am not mistaken you have a circle on the side of the fixed part of your cross feed is that for support of the taper attachment too? My lathe has machined surfaces in those areas.
My challenge is to machine a nut to fit the cross feed leadscrew then secure the linkage from the nut to the follower block on the taper attachment. I am working with a home made taper attachment.
Is your lead screw fastened to what appears to be the removeable cover over the free end of the lead screw?
In answer to your questions; "no" however I would think that 3/8" x 16 tpi in 3/4" deep holes would work but attention should be given to the "V" on the ways and cross feed.
Not trying to be a" smart alec" here, just listing some things I encountered. No doubt you have solved most of the details.
Have a good day
Ray

On my 9a the dimensions are as follows:

Rear of carriage 3/8-16 spaced 3.5" apart

Side of carriage 5/16-18 spaced 1.25" apart

So far as nomenclature is concerned, the apron is the front of the carriage where the feed clutch, half nuts, etc. are mounted. The part that you are speaking of is the carriage, the apron is a removable part of the carriage.

Crap sorry about that, I think I wrote apron because I was looking at the "how to install thread indicator dial" pdf as I was typing up this post but meant to say carriage...
Yeah my lathe is also missing that mounting hole as well.

On my 9a the dimensions are as follows:

Rear of carriage 3/8-16 spaced 3.5" apart

Side of carriage 5/16-18 spaced 1.25" apart

For the side of the carriage: do you have the distance from the flat of the cross slide?

for the rear of the carriage: do you have the distance from the machined surface where the saddle/carriage gib is mounted?

Ok, here's a couple of pics - not clear what distances you need?

Ok, distances as you marked.

Side holes - 1/2"

Rear holes - 11/16"

Being I just picked up a little SB , post as many pics as possible ! I'm going to try my best to save this thing !

Back