SB 9 tail stock

cbellanca

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Today while trying to remove a drill chuck from the tail stock the quill became disconnected from the hand wheel. Upon disassembly I discovered the brass screw dislodged from the quill. There are 2 opposed 1/8" diameter holes near the end of the quill, but no pins or mating holes in the screw. Also found a mangled square sided rubber washer that fell out upon the disassembly. Questions: Where can I find a cross section drawing of the tailstock assembly andparts list. Are there supposed to be pins to lock the brass screw in place, and what is and where does the rubber washer go.

Most of the 9" assemblies are in this manual.

Attachments

• CL670Z_army.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 19
You can count on the fact that a rubber washer does not belong there.

Last edited:
Thank you this helps much. I see by the exploded view there is no separate brass nut that fits into the end of the quill (shaft). I surmise that the acme threads are in the end of quill. The exploded view does show a rubber washer.

You can count on the fact that a rubber washer does not belong there.

Probably, yes, it does.. It is a "bumper" sort of speak. The Heavy 10 has one - didn't look at the 9" - the manual is more for the 10K than a 9". There IS an Army manual for a 9", I just can't find it right now.

Here's a parts list for a heavy 10. This DOES show a rubber washer (just for reference).

Attachments

• Tailstock_912E.pdf
    696.9 KB · Views: 7
Back