SB 9A Lathe Excessive Bed Wear?

matthew_laberge

Registered
Registered
Hello,

I'm brand new to the forum, my name is Matt. I am a mechanical design engineer by trade and have some experience operating both a mill and lathe, I live in Minneapolis, MN.

I recently acquired a 4' South Bend Model 9A lathe from a friend. He paid nothing for it and since he had no use for it he gave it to me. I knew nothing about the condition of the lathe when I agreed to take it off his hands but now that I have it in my basement I can see quite a few issues that need to be addressed to make it operable (worn bed, excessive backlash on cross slide & compound, plenty of end play in the spindle, the list goes on :)

Before I saw the lathe in detail in my basement my plans were to refresh it into working order, the condition of the bed however makes me wonder if restoring this lathe is worth the time and effort. I'm hoping someone here can help advise me. I do not yet have an indicator to make measurements, I have only my eyes.

If you look at the pictures of the ways you can see that the very peaks on the spindle side are completely worn down for like 4-6". Its almost as if someone came over with an angle grinder and buzzed the tops off. You can also see that the sides of the ways are quite worn with lots of scoring. Is this lathe a lost cause? Should I just chuck this thing?

Thanks,
Matthew LaBerge

Attachments

• IMG_0899.jpg
    IMG_0899.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 170
  • IMG_0898.jpg
    IMG_0898.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 169
  • IMG_0897.jpg
    IMG_0897.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 148
I would not chuck it (unless you deliver it here). Worst case, part it out, there is many good parts on it. If you have room, it is still a good roughing lathe, or still good for work that envolves the compound, the compound slide, or short distances for the carriage.

Looks to me like a previous owner needed more space near the headstock to clear a part and ground the ways to get it. He did not grind anywhere near where the saddle will run so you may be okay, depending on the condition of the rest of the bed.

Well it’s not completely useless — I know of a SouthBend in daily service right now at a light fixture shop that is in worse condition than that but it still produces parts. Of machinist quality or tolerance no, but parts nonetheless.

-frank

Most of that damage lies below the chuck and may not have an affect on the carriage. Only way to know is to put a dial indicator on the carriage and test it along the ways to see what readings you get.
My lathe has a removable section in that same place to allow you to swing a part that would not clear the ways. So you may be just fine.

My research when buying a lathe indicated that South Bends (and maybe all lathes with V-ways) primarily wear on the face of the way not the peak.
Based on the fact there doesn't appear to be a significant ridge at the top of the ways you are probably good to go.

Like DavidR8, I think all the vertical referencing is provided by the sides of the ways, not the top flat area. I imagine the lathe will be fine.

I agree, the wear does not look that bad. My SB-16 has a big noticeable ridge on the top of the ways, and can still do a lot with it. Just need to be aware of the wear when doing long turnings, which I have not needed the 16" for that. I would not mind owning the 9" you are looking at.

SAM_1243.JPG

Awesome, thanks for the reassurance guys. I'll proceed with refurbishing the lathe, it should be a fun project. I have a lot to learn.

Back