SB 9A

jcp

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I have a SB 9A that I need to run at max spindle rpm. It empties out the chuck end bearing reservoir in just a couple of minutes. I'm going to pull the spindle to check that the drain back is not plugged. Is there any other thing to check while I have it apart?

Wow... interesting. The only way oil comes up out of the reservoir is via spring loaded oil wicks. They must be doing a good job of sucking up the oil out of the reservoir!

There are probably grooves cut into the ends of your spindle bearings with holes drilled in them to return the oil to the reservoir. Make sure they are not plugged.

Also, be careful removing the top spindle bearing(bearing cap)! There is a procedure for doing it so you don't ruin your bearing. I won't explain now because you might already know how to do this. Let us know if not and I or someone else will tell you how to do it correctly.

Ted

Took the spindle out and found a string of plastic about .010" or .012" dia. that was in the oil drain back hole on the chuck end of of the front bearing. It had worked it's way into the oil hole with a tail hanging out of the oil groove. It's probably been year since I machined any plastic so it took a while to work it's way there. Wicked the oil out of the bearing at a pretty good clip.
I would like to go ahead and replace the wicks and the ball thrust bearing while I have it apart. Where can I get these parts?

Check a seller on eBay named stevewb He sells complete kits and some individual ones. If he doesn't have the bearing you can check McMaster Carr.

Ted

Thanks Ted!!

Back