SB Heavy 10, year to year quality ?

AJ

Registered
Registered
I was wondering if someone who knows could tell me if a SB Heavy 10 from the 40s is better, worse or the same as one from the 70s ? Are there years that make the Heavy 10 undesirable ? Finally is there an advantage(spindle bore size, ect. ?) to a "newer" Heavy 10 (60s-70s, ) as compared to a older one from the 40s ? I`m asking because I have the opportunity to get a Heavy 10 from I think the 40s, maybe 50s. I`v always wanted a Heavy 10 for smithing(been gun smithing for 20 years but have never been able to cut my own threads or other machining till now), I hear they`re great for that ? My dream lathe is a Monarch 10EE but with the long head stock I hear they`re not good for smithing not to mention the high price they fetch which I can`t afford.....Here`00f0f_dDgX8ANjuqK_1200x900.jpgs a pic exactly like the one I`m looking at. Can anyone tell me anything about it other then the obvious filth....

The gear boxes on the newer ones are better than what I call the "1 lungers" like the one you have shown. Besides the big dials on the compound and cross slide, the heavy 10's were mostly built the same. Why mess with success.

Reactions: AJ
I'm still learning, but the biggest difference, is that sometime near the late 50's, or early 60's, hardened and ground beds became standard.

I knew mine had some wear on the ways, but did not realize how bad, until I got it home, and took a good measurement. For me, it did not matter, as I have a 13" lathe for doing any long critical dimension stuff.

Newer ones may have flame hardened ways, large dials .

The newer ones have more spindle options, like mine has an LOO spindle, some had D1-4.

I thought that at some point (50s?) they switched from cast iron spindle bearings to replaceable bronze bearing shells-?
mark

My 49 has the bronze bearings and large dials. Some say the cast iron bases are more stable than the tube type cabinets but I dont really know. A flame hardened bed is definitely a plus imo.

Well I got her ! She`s pretty clapped out, kinda like a hooker at the end of a hot summer.. needs to be completely rebuilt (like stick in a ham and pull out the bone rebuilt) but that`s exactly what I wanted. A project. Plus the price was just right. He was asking $1200 and I got her for $400. In my area that`s a steal. Over the next year or so I`ll bring her back to life. I`m a complete newb so this should be fun. Maybe I`ll make a build thread unless you`re all sick of them ?? If she`s to bad I`ll use her for parts on a better project but what I like is the 4ft bed !

Pictures, or it never happened. No, seriously we love pics, and they can be helpful for everyone. The eagle eyes are good at helping to identify, or notice things you did not know. They also help many other readers. Plus, it helps with my machinery lust for knowledge.

$400, you got a deal. I could think of a few parts that would total more then that by some asking prices on Ebay. Don't know if they get it, just thinking about asking prices I have seen. Even if the ways are worn, you still have a decent machine for work near the headstock.

What accessories did you get along with it?

Back