SB Heavy 10, year to year quality ?

Pictures, or it never happened. No, seriously we love pics, and they can be helpful for everyone. The eagle eyes are good at helping to identify, or notice things you did not know. They also help many other readers. Plus, it helps with my machinery lust for knowledge.

$400, you got a deal. I could think of a few parts that would total more then that by some asking prices on Ebay. Don't know if they get it, just thinking about asking prices I have seen. Even if the ways are worn, you still have a decent machine for work near the headstock.

What accessories did you get along with it?
pic coming in a.m.

Pictures, or it never happened. No, seriously we love pics, and they can be helpful for everyone. The eagle eyes are good at helping to identify, or notice things you did not know. They also help many other readers. Plus, it helps with my machinery lust for knowledge.

$400, you got a deal. I could think of a few parts that would total more then that by some asking prices on Ebay. Don't know if they get it, just thinking about asking prices I have seen. Even if the ways are worn, you still have a decent machine for work near the headstock.

What accessories did you get along with it?

Believe it or not she`s in ok shape..Need the ways ground but this is exactly the project I was looking for and I`v wanted a Heavy 10 for smithing for years now..Under all that grease and grime is a girl wanting to get back in the game. That grime saved her ! She was under 4 feet of water because of Katrina for over a weel and not a lick of rust. The guy who owned this machine did not take care of it AT ALL ! There`s so much I want to do but I`ll be cleaning for the next few days and taking stripping her down to nothing. I`ll then find a good place to have the ways, carriage, head and tail stock done. Everything else I`ll do myself. Someone had commented that I should just buy a new PM12" but that`s all I`ll have. A new chinese machine. With her I have a piece of Ameican history that can hold as good as tolerances as any new chinese machine in it`s class. She`s 80yrs old, been thru a flood and God only knows what else and she`s still running and cutting. Come`on what PM will be running 80yrs from now ?
How can I find out what year this is ??
20180919_195426.jpg20180919_195413.jpg00H0H_1Qp53Fa6KWV_1200x900.jpg20180919_195426.jpg00Z0Z_fC03qeWUdcL_1200x900.jpg20180919_195339.jpg

Last edited:
My 49 has the bronze bearings and large dials. Some say the cast iron bases are more stable than the tube type cabinets but I dont really know. A flame hardened bed is definitely a plus imo.

I`m going to build my own base from 3/4" plate. It`l be heavy and unmovable. LOL I`m also having the ways induction hardened if possible. I know chrome is an option.

My 49 has the bronze bearings and large dials. Some say the cast iron bases are more stable than the tube type cabinets but I dont really know. A flame hardened bed is definitely a plus imo.

20180901_163542.jpg The Heavy 10 has bronze bushings but little dials..I`m going to build my own base from 3/4" plate. It`l be heavy and unmovable. LOL I`m also having the ways induction hardened if possible. I know chrome is an option. I`ll be making my own large dials with my 10K as well as everything else I need done. Pic of my 10k..I really like this machine...

I'm jealous, have fun rebuilding her.

Reactions: AJ
Looks like a great candidate for a restore. Have you read through my rebuild thread? It might get you motivated, lol.

Reactions: AJ
Back