SB wood turning steady rest and part to fit into cross slide.

jbmauser

Registered
Registered
When I bought my lathe it came with wood turning tools (original crumby tools) and it had this bit that fits into the saddle. I am sure that the steady rest fits into something different from not very clear images in SB catalogs. I have no idea what the piece I have is made for. What ever screws into it. Anyone have this piece? anyone have any ideas?

DSC_0283.jpg

DSC_0284.jpg

DSC_0285.jpg

DSC_0286.jpg

DSC_0287.jpg

Does the tool rest lock into the bottom piece? If you look at the carriage on your lathe, you will see two setscrews on the front of the crossfeed, toward the front corners. If you loosen those, the compound feed will lift off. The mount for the compound is identical to the lower piece you show in the pictures.

yes it does fit into the cross slide and it does lock in place but there is no way to lock the steadyrest into position. It just spins freely. It needs a grub screw to lock it down so it can not swing into the work. Also it is threaded to accept ??? I don't know of any tool made by SB to fit into the cross slide other than the milling attachment.

There is an intermediate piece missing. The way it is would not bring the rest up to the center of the work piece.

That would work as it has a grub screw to lock the steadyrest. The piece I have would not be part of that because there is no opening for the grub screw to contact the steady rest shaft. Good find. I can't seem to get that when I do an image search.

Possibly because you might be searching for "steady rest". Indeed the rest does steady the hand holding the chisel, but properly termed for woodworking it's a "tool rest". Plus I had the advantage: this same question came up several years ago so I already knew I could find an illustration ;)

-frank

Edit: point taken on the two different variations though. I don't know which came first or second, or even if yours is an original SB or maybe even a user-made variant? I don't own a SB lathe, but I'll check my book when I get home if I think of it.

-f

thanks for the tip, I found the images you posted and also a pic of the part I saw in one of the SB catalogs. Kind of a lump shape base.

Capture.PNG

I plan to do some wood and horn turning - anyone have one of these to sell?

The tool rest is not necessarily required for turning wood. I turn wood occasionally and just use a boring bar for a tool rest.

Back