SB1007 "Heavy Ten" Impressions and Experiences

jaek

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
This lathe deserves its own thread, even though Grizzly may be discontinuing it.

Note: Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I am a self-taught hobby machinist, with most of my experience is on a MicroMark 7x16 mini-lathe. My goals in upgrading were a larger work envelope, more low-speed performance especially for threading, and general improved performance. Living on a hill a city means I have limited space and weight capacity for tools.

The SB1007 is almost an exact copy of the Emco Super 11. You can read all about the original on www.lathes.co.uk - it was a high quality machine.

Unboxing was pretty straightforward. The lathe came with minimal accessories - a 3-jaw chuck w/ reversible jaws, an outboard spindle spider, an MT5 to MT3 adapter for the spindle, a 4-way toolpost, and a variety of tools. The spindle is D1-4 w/ MT5 taper, the tailstock is MT3, the lead screw is 8 TPI. Cross slide and compound slide lead screws are metric - 2mm and 1.25 mm respectively. Initial spindle break-in and test cuts went fine.

Stay tuned for more.

Last edited:
Motor

The original Maximat had a two-speed motor and a four-speed geared headstock. The SB1007 has the same user interface, but behind the scenes is a Delta VFD022E21A with two preset speeds and a three-phase motor. The VFD is configured with a five-second ramp-up/ramp-down time, and the "Jog" function actually puts the lathe into forward mode.

True variable speed only requires replacing the 1-2 switch with a potentiometer and adding a tach, plus some control panel rewiring and VFD reprogramming. The 10k pot was $41 from automationdirect.com, a tachometer and modbus adapter were another $40 from Amazon.

After more time and false starts than I'd like to admit everything ended up working. My next steps are to add a 12V power supply inside the cabinet to power the tach and a braking resistor for faster stops. After that I might try to hook up a limit switch or proximity stop for threading to a shoulder.

It's a little surprising that Grizzly didn't configure the lathe with variable speed to start with, but they must have had a reason.

Pictures to follow.

41$ for a pot? That seems high
It is odd that they omitted variable speed
Does the onboard VFD not have enough aux power to run the tach?

Last edited:
It’s an industrial pot with mounting and actuator and everything, not just bare leads. I could have spent more for sure.

Not sure if the VFD has a spare 12V output. Will have to check the manual.

The design is a little weird - probably contributes to the high price and what must be low sales.

I checked- it has a 24v output but only good for 20 mA. Probably will need an external tach supply

One quirk of this lathe - the height from the top of the compound to the spindle axis is only 23 mm aka 0.905". This is a little small for an AXA toolpost. 1/2” tool in a standard tool holders won’t fit. 1/2” in an oversize holder or 3/8” in a standard holder do work. The normal Dorian holders will hold a 1/2” tool. Boring bar holders are generally fine; cutoff holders are generally not.

Just something to be aware of.

the height from the top of the compound to the spindle axis is only 23 mm aka 0.905"
That is very small... wow. then it is a 0XA for you if you go QCTP. You might be better of with a 4-way, winch is more robust in the smaller sizes.

Back