Sbl 13

aametalmaster

Registered
Registered
This is from a PM member who is without a working lathe and can't do the mod without one. So he sent me the part to modify and get him back making chips. Then there was the problem of the USPS loosing the package for 21 days but i finally got it. I will reface the mating surfaces because there are a few nicks and i can see daylight between them. Then i will remove the amount of metal thats in the gap between the two dials 2nd pic. Then return, rethread and make the new groove for the dutchman screw 3rd pic. Well off to the dungeon...Bob

lathe 001.jpg lathe 002.jpg lathe 003.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: SBL 13" cross slide shaft rework...

Be waiting for the next installment! ;D

Paul

Ok it's done ready to ship. Enjoy i know i did...Bob
Pic 1 turning to 3/8" for the knob
2. trued up front where the dial rides. It was banged up.
3. Knob on for a test fit.
4. Turning to 5/16 for nut
5. 5/16-24 die and my big nosed center to line it up straight.
6. threaded
7. cross slide hole driller installed with 1/8" bit for the dutchman pin. This hole took 15 seconds to drill.
8. long shot of cs hole driller and my pawn shop drill
9. drilling hole
10. 1/8 dutchman pin in @ 1 o clock
11. ready for a hack saw
12. filed off and ready to ship

lathe 007.jpg lathe 008.jpg lathe 009.jpg lathe 010.jpg lathe 011.jpg lathe 012.jpg lathe 013.jpg lathe 015.jpg lathe 016.jpg lathe 017.jpg lathe 018.jpg lathe 019.jpg

Re: SBL 13" cross slide shaft rework...

Looks great Bob. ;D i think I need to build one of those drill fixtures.

Paul

Paul i just figured out its your shaft LOL. The drilling fixture is simple to make and i have more how to pics of it. The next one is going to be offset so i can use longer drill bits...Bob

driller.jpg

aametalmaster link=topic=613.msg4114#msg4114 date=1297196854 said:
Paul i just figured out its your shaft LOL. The drilling fixture is simple to make and i have more how to pics of it. The next one is going to be offset so i can use longer drill bits...Bob

Bob you should do a thread on the drilling fixture guild if you took pictures. Would be a good project to put on the list.

Paul

Here is the link...Bob http://hobby-machinist.com/index.php?topic=692.0

Back